Program not accessible

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Doodler, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

Well, here's one that will leave you scratching your heads.

Last night I booted up my computer and got this error message: "Sgtray.exe unable to locate component. This application has failed to start because SUS.DLL was not found. Re-installating the application may fix the problem." Never saw it before and being a non-techie, I have no clue. Then, I noticed my Eset Nod32 icon was not in the notification tray and that the splashscreen never appeared during startup. So I clicked Start > Programs and saw Eset was there. But when I tried to open the program, the cursor would quickly flash an hour glass and revert back to a cursor. No Eset program would open. Was it still installed? Was it corrupted? Was I having a bad dream?

Next, I tried rebooting. I got a similar error message as the above, except this time it referred to something called "tfswcres.dll was not found". And the Eset Nod32 icon and splashscreen were still missing. I think I checked Taskmanager at this point, but I don't recall with certainty if I saw an Eset-related entry or not.

After 2 hours of me googling and what-not trying to stumble across some other poor soul with a similar experience, I decided to go for broke. I uninstalled Nod32 (I was on v 3.0 5 something) using the Eset uninstaller and reinstalled the newest version. I didn't get any error messages during the uninstall, so my best guess is that the Eset program must have been on my system. If so, it remains a mystery why it was not opening up and why the splashscreen and icon went on hiatus.

The new install seemed to work...at least for now (who knows what I'll see when I get home tonight). The icon is back, splashscreen is working, etc. But, the weird SUS.dll and tfswcres.dll application error messages continue (only during startup...and they seem to take turns).

I'm starting to hate computers. Does anyone have any idea why (a) Eset became inaccessible and (b) why these SUS.dll and tfswcres.dll errors are occurring? I'm guessing the Eset problem and the .dll problems may be related since I never saw them before last night, but who knows? The more I tinker with my system to fix stuff, the more unstable it seems to get.

Sorry for being long-winded. Not sure how much detail to go into.

BTW - I'm running Windows XP PRO SP2 on an IBM/Lenovo A51 ThinkCentre desktop. I've had Eset on my system for about 2 months.

If there's a genius out there :rolleyes: , now's the time to show up!

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

3. Doodler

I'm not sure what this means. Is this web site (www.spywaredata.com) suggesting I have malware? or a virus? etc? That wouldn't explain why my original Eset icon and splashscreen disappeared and the Nod32 program became inaccessible, would it? Also, after I downloaded and reinstalled the newest version of Nod32 last night, I ran 3 (yes 3) virus scans and each one came up clean.

Any other thoughts, suggestions, responses are appreciated.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I might have overlooked this but have you tried un-installing Nod and after a re-boot making sure all registry entries(HKCU and HKLM Software\ESET) are removed as well as all related Eset folders. Then leave it un-installed. Do you still get the SUS.dll and tfswcres.dll errors. Another words, determine the reason for the dll errors with Eset out of the equation. Yes, this does not address the icon\splash screen oddity but finding the answer to one might solve the other :doubt:

5. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

6. Doodler

All, thanks for the input.

Bubba, I didn't check the registry in between uninstalling and reinstalling Eset. I did remove the Eset folder from my program files, however. But, I also forgot to reboot before reinstalling the updated Nod32 version.

My wife has threatened me with bodily harm if I mess around in the registry anymore. Seems like anytime I go in there, something wierd happens...like missles being mysteriously launched, etc.

My pc is a little over two years old and came with Sonic RecordNow already preloaded, so if I uninstall it I probably won't be able to reinstall. At least I don't know how to. Maybe another option is available through Lenovo's system update feature. Last time I ran it, it was indicating there was an upgrade for RecordNow available.

Still is an enigma regarding why Eset disappeared. Again, I appreciate your suggestions and feel free to keep them coming.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

With that removed and after a re-boot, did you still see the "weird SUS.dll and tfswcres.dll application error messages" ?

8. Doodler

Thanks for responding, Bubba. The above messages still pop up right after booting. Something new happened late last night after my last post. SoundMax also was preloaded on my system and I discovered late last night that I was also unable to open that program much like I was unable to open Nod32. I looked around in Windows Explorer and completely by luck I found a setup program for SoundMax. I clicked on it, SoundMax reinstalled, and it works again. But...why is this happening? Maybe the planets are misaligned.

It's frustrating when something like this is such a mystery. I'm starting to wonder if my pc troubles have nothing to do with Eset Nod32 and instead they are being caused by something else. (In which case I probably don't belong in this particular forum.) The only thing I can think of is that a day or two before these problems began (when the Eset program became inaccessible, and when the Eset icon and splashscreen disappeared, and SoundMax became inaccessible, and SUS.dll and tfswcres.dll error messages begain popping up), I used for the first time Lenovo's ThinkVantage System Update feature. It reads your system and tells you of any updates that your system needs. I said yes to a Bios update. That's the only one. I tried late last night to figure out where the Bios update was done in my system (I assume it's a driver and so maybe I could reverse it), but figuring out where it is is beyond my skill level. Other than that, I can't think of anything unusual that I've done.

I'll defer to you if you think I should be bumped from this forum. Otherwise, I'll hang in there and see if other ideas/suggestions are sent.

Thanks again.

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If We assume that the pertinent aspects of Nod are removed, then We can further say it's not a Nod support issue. However, at this moment in time, one of my only concerns is us trying to assist you the best We can in trying to figure this out. I personally have no problem at this moment in time leaving it where it is.

Bubba

10. Doodler

That's good of you, Bubba.

Got home from work a few minutes ago, booted up my problem machine, and got the tfswcres.dll message this time. (Recall that sometimes it's SUS.dll.)

The full-blown message said this...
    (Across the top, banner part of the pop-up, without the quotations) "swctrl.exe Unable to Locate Component"
    (Then in the body of the pop-up, also without quotes) "This application has failed to start because tfswcres.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem."

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Using various combinations for searches pretty much all come down to the same resolution to this occurence. It's also relevant to some of what flyrfan posted above in that the problem is being to be your Sonic Recordnow software.

This is just one of many search results that all mirror each other in what is being suggested in addressing this issue.
    I used various forms of search words and not many diviated from the underlying issue, Sonic Recordnow

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ay.exe unable to locate component&btnG=Search

12. Doodler

I spent all of last night working on this issue. I discovered (new to me, but you experts probably know about this) that I could reinstall RecordNow and another Sonic program (something to do with DLA) by going to Add/Remove programs and clicking change.

I tried that a couple of times, but the same error messages continues and I started getting some new messages and when I goggled them, the indications were they were related to Sonic as well. So...out of fatigue and frustration...I said enough is enough and removed Sonic from my pc. I didn't use them much and I think I can use Windows Media Player for everything I ever used RecordNow for.

Since removing them, no problems thus far. But, it's early. Remains a mystery why these issues were tied to Eset Nod32 and whether Eset was the initial problem or Sonic.

In any event, I'll keep you posted. As always, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.