Profiles....

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by kairii, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kairii

kairii Registered Member

My NOD32 is currently using the "My Profile" profile, and i've noticed there are two additional profiles, "Context menu Profile", and "Control Center Profile". All three profiles have the same three options. All three options within "My Profile" profile are checked, but the same options under "context" and "control center" profiles are unchecked. Is this the right setup? Do i have to check the options for for the other two profiles as well?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

If you want to make your system that little bit stronger, then yes...

The Context Menu Profile, is your "Right Click" scan profile that is used to scan a particular file...

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

3. kairii

kairii Registered Member

I'm still kinda confused. As ALL three profiles have the exact same options, and one of the options is 'Use this profile for scanning objects from within the context menu'. So if i tick this option in ALL three profiles then which profile will be used when "scanning objects from within the context menu"?? Hrrmmm. Hope you know what i mean, coz there are some options within NOD2 that doesnt really make any sense (to me at least).

4. Blackspear

If you tick this option in "My Profile", then it will use the settings you have chosen in “My Profile” for the Right Click “Context Menu Profile” when you want to only scan a particular file… clear as mud ;) :D

It can only be used in ONE profile at a time, it can not be ticked in ALL 3 at the same time, placing a tick in one, unticks it in another profile.

I do indeed know what you mean ;) :D

As to other things not making sense, have you had a chance to look at the fairly comprehensive step by step tutorial on Nod32 here, and as it says in the first post there, if you are still unsure, ask away ;) :D

Hope this helps...

5. kairii

kairii Registered Member

Thanks for ur help but...hrmmm......so if i place a tick in "my profile" then when i do a right click it will use settings in "my profile"....i'm i right??....then in what situation would the "context menu profile" profile be used?

Also i've checked ur "extra settings for nod32" thread and theres little info on profiles....i think you've only mentioned it briefly....basically all you mention was something along this line "there are 3 profles in nod32, and each has its own settings"....

Sorry for asking too much but i just wanna make sure that i get all the settings right...hope you understand :)

6. Blackspear

If you place a tick in “Use this profile for scanning objects from within the context menu” of “My Profile” (as per screen shot), then when you right click on a single file that you would like to scan, Nod32 will use the settings you have chosen in “My Profile” to scan that particular file.

This is correct, it’s like having 3 pizzas and each you can choose a different topping, or you may have a favorite topping that you want on all 3.

Each profile can have different scanning settings if you so desire, or you can have Nod32 scan the exact same way in all 3 profiles. Nod32 is just giving you choices, and choices are good ;)

And if it is still not clear let me know and I will see if I can come at it from a different direction…

Hope this helps…

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  7. Piecan

Piecan Registered Member

Hi Blackspear
    Just did a search to find this as I'm confused about Profiles too. I've just put a tick in use "this profile for scanning objects within context menu" and now I can't untick it! I already had a tick in "use this profile when launching Nod32 from control panel" and the profile I'm using is "My Profile". This is in the Nod32 module under Profiles. Is this correct that it can't be unticked now?

In Schedule/planner I have three "My Profile" settings one for updating every three hours, one for updating on dial-up if new updates available and the third is to do a scan on completion of an update.

Sorry what is the difference between Contex menu and Control panel?
    Can the schedules I set up be called anything other than "my Profile" and if they were would it make a difference to what they did?

How do you make each Profile scan differently? I have everything set on "standard" as opposed to "deep" scanning as recommended in the help instructions. Can I set a once weekly "deep scan"?

What is Nod32 kernel execution of an external application mean? The scan I have set upon update is just called Nod scanning. What is the difference?

Sorry for all the questions and not understanding! Thanks.

8. Blackspear

You MUST have a tick in at least one profile for the right click scan, it will NOT let you untick, if you do not have a tick elsewhere, it is like a seesaw, when ticked in one it unticks the other…

I asked the question a couple of weeks ago, and it went all the way up the food chain to a developer, and the result was, there is one too many profiles in there, as in the Control Panel Profile is redundant ;) :D

Schedules generally can be named as to your liking.

You basically have 2 profiles, “My Profile”, and the Right Click “Context Profile”, each can have different settings according to how you set each profile up…

There is a tutorial here that will help you run a weekly scan with Nod32, it has step by step instructions with screenshots…

Don’t know what it means, however it is what Nod32 uses when you set up a weekly scan…

No idea on this one.

That’s ok, I now have a headache ;) If I drank, it would be time for a stiff drink ;)

9. Piecan

Piecan Registered Member

Hi again Blackspear...you just knew I would have more questions I'm afraid, so please have a lie down first instead of a stiff drink!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  10. Blackspear

If you have the tick in “Use this profile for scanning objects within the context menu”, then when you “Right Click” it will use the settings you have chosen in “My Profile”, see attached screenshot…

You would have to set up 2 different scans with different switches for each scan…

No problem at all, understanding breeds those that can help others… ;) :D

My pleasure, if there is still something you don’t understand, don’t hesitate to continue with the questions :D

All the best…

Attached Files:

11. Piecan

Piecan Registered Member

Thanks Blackspear

I see the light, I finally get it! I didn't appreciate that if I actually clicked on a different Profile than "my Profile" and then went back to the settings they could be set differently. I made my own profile called "weekly scan", altered the settings (not ticking either of the options to use this profile etc) then set up a schedule to perform a weekly scan. I chose "Nod scanning" though as the other you mention "..execution of an external application" asks at the end which file, work directory and command line.

Curious that once you create a new Profile it won't let you delete it although the option "delete" is there.

Thanks very much for your help and patience, much appreciated. :)

12. Blackspear

Not sure on this one, other than the probability that there must be at least one profile or 2 present...

My pleasure, glad I could be of assistance...

All the best.

13. sflorack

sflorack Registered Member

You can delete any profile, it just can't be the current one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.