Profiles - Am I Stupid?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by bobat, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobat

bobat Registered Member

I'm on a trial of NOD32 - latest version. I'm really having trouble figuring out the 'profile' thing... o_O

I thought that I could set up a different profile for each type of scan, i.e. manual, contextual, scheduled, and resident (imon) - that is, the level and depth of the scan depending on when and how the scan was initiated.

After fighting with the 'Profiles' tab on and off for an hour, I'm starting to think I've got it all wrong.

Is the following correct? There is only one profile that can be in use at any one time, and it controls the behaviour of 'manual' scans run from the 'on-demand' scanner, the behaviour of scans initiated from the context menu, and scheduled scans. The "imon' scan parameters are separately determined from the imon setup page.

I'm I on the right track? Has anyone else had as frustrating a time as I have with this? I've read the included help and the downloaded .pdf help, and I'm still confused. o_O

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. bobat

bobat Registered Member

I guess I am stupid! :)

I was getting thrown off by the tick-box "use this profile for context menu scanning" and thought I had more flexibility than I did.

Oh well, getting there.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm betting the new gui will be a little easier to use. As it is now, it's a tweakers paradise. Not all users are tweakers and I think the feedback here will lead to improvements. :)

5. bobat

bobat Registered Member

When will that be?

... and thanks for your help... :)

6. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

One can only guess I'm afraid.
    It will have a basic & advanced gui, set by the user, so I'm still a happy tweaking camper :)

7. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

If I understand it, in terms of options you have have as much flexability as you want. just because a profile concerns all optional settings doesn't mean you cant just change one on them such as context menu scanning and leave the other behaviors the same.

The problem I see is sort of a book keeping one. You'll have to create some descriptive names or not have too many profiles, because there seems to be a large number of possible combinations!

There is an advantage of this, possibly more drawn out profile creation (again if I understand it) and that would be the ease of quickly verifying all of the behaviors using the status screen. Quick verification and correction of your settings after selecting a profile could be more important than the set up drawbacks.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.