processor anti-execute protection from malicious code

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chris2busy, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

DEP backdoor
    More here :)

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Which means setting DEP to AlwaysOn, not OptOut. There are no exceptions possible in this mode, and even if you don't have exceptions in OptOut, AlwaysOn is still safer. The second link in Lucas post explains this.

One has to edit the boot.ini for AlwaysOn (followed by a reboot), and then see some programs not open. The big name for me was Opera, i completely stopped using it i'm afraid.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I´m not sure what´s going on, but lately I´ve been getting a couple of unexpected DEP alerts (about SnagIt, Maxthon and Gadwin Printscreen), I´m not sure if they were false positives or not, but interesting was that Comodo Memory Firewall didn´t make a sound.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If i recall Ilya correctly, there are just some programs badly coded that violate DEP parameters, sort of speak. The programs, or just some extension.

5. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

The problem with CMF is that it do not make stack and heap areas non-executable.

6. Rasheed187

Thanks for the info Ilya, I totally forget that you´re the make of an anti BO tool yourself, so that´s why you know so much about this stuff. But what are you saying, that CMF isn´t really that powerful, or is it still useful?

7. Ilya Rabinovich

It is useful in order to provide some kind of ASLR protection. Other its protective staff is about 'call function' analize and can be bypassed.

8. Rasheed187

Thanks for the feedback. From what I´ve been reading, I get the general impression that eventhough CMF is not THE ultimate anti BO tool, it might still actually be useful, and might still stop certain BO attacks, combined with hardware DEP. Btw, wouldn´t ASLR cause trouble on XP? I know a while back, some of us tried WehnTrust, and it caused problems. To my surprise, CMF seems to be running just fine with all my other tools.

9. Ilya Rabinovich

No, there should be no problems at all because of ASLR. As about WehnTrust- it is written poor way, too many bugs within :)

10. Rasheed187

11. Ilya Rabinovich

I don't know about it too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.