ProcessGuard v3 to be released! ...

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Wayne - DiamondCS, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Wayne

All right for you in Perth :mad:, it is a dark and damp morning here in Kent UK :'(.

Anyway you should not be chatting here, go on get back to work on that release. :D

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

2. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Other minor gui things :

It would be nice to get a time displayed with each alert
    Just to make it easier for when a computer is unattended

It would be nice to be able to select the Filename/Description/Folder from the alert window (so that the information goes onto the clipboard) in the same way that you can do for the "Extra Information" when that is displayed

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

It already does that in the Alert tab window and in the log file.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. gottadoit

The reason I was asking for a timestamp in the alert box was not because I couldn't see it somewhere else, it was so that I could see at a glance if the alert was related to the last thing I did (sometime shortly after I left the computer) or if it happened sometime after

Useful to know before I click on permit or deny
    (atm I get to do it twice... once for PG and once for Kerio)

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

There is a timestamp for all log events in the FILE log. There is a logs folder in the ProcessGuard folder. ProcessGuard is very useful for realtime control but also for later inspection, so the log file does have this in it. I do think this can go on the possible to-do list though, so thanks ! :)

6. gottadoit

Thanks, I've come into looking at the Beta quite late...
    I've been waiting for TDS-4 and periodically have a look at the forums and I noticed that PG3 was on its way (just a few days ago)

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Should be in another 14 or 15 hours ;)

8. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

I know its kind of late to be making suggestions but would it be possible in a future release to disable the checksum feature on certain apps/processes? Example: I run BoClean and it downloads a temp file called update.exe in my tremp folder when it updates. PG stops it every time and I have to manually allow this file to be executed. It would be nice to have an option to disable the checksum featur on this .exe. BF1942 does the same thing it its copy protection scheme at startup.

9. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Thanks, Pete. :)

That sounds a lot like how PG2 works, and that portion of the setup works great. But I was referring not to settings that tell PG what apps to let run, but instead the settings that give specific apps various allow/block flags. These are the settings that are tedious to replicate, and it would be nice for PG3 to be able to import these from PG2. Unless PG3 has an intuitive way to assign these flags.

10. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Actually D&C, that is what Pete meant ;). ProcessGuard does learn this now. It makes it very easy to get up and running now. Just be sure to read the help file when the FINAL is released tomorrow and all will be revealed.....not too far away now :D.

Regards,
    Jade.

11. Dazed_and_Confused

Wow - That does sound impressive. Sorry about that Pete, and thanks for the clarification, Jade. :)

12. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi D & C :)

Here is how I do it. Learning mode is whole lot more powerful in Version 3 :)

After installation reboot.
    Start all your trusted apps then reboot again, then add any General tabs, after the next rebboot all necessary Allows will have been made regarding the General tab blocks including such things as allowing a protected list program Global hooks and access to physical memory.
    Reboot and PG will have switched off learning mode and hopefully all will be OK.
    The only other settings you may want to add are "Secure message handling" to programs you think require it.

When PG3 is released please read the help file which is shown immediately after install and prior to restart
    The section on Secure meassage handling formerly Close message handling has new powerful features so please take a time to familiarise yourself with it.

HTH Pilli

13. NewGen

NewGen Guest

Is it 01Nov2004 in Perth now? no the new release is loaded yet for download? anyone has downloaded the release version yet?
    Thx.

14. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

New Gen, As stated previously it will be midday in Perth for the release :) so in 11 hours ish

15. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks for the info, and all of your hard work on PG3 Pilli. Looking forward to seeing it. :)

16. azumi21

azumi21 Registered Member

I can't wait!
    I'm more excited about this than Halloween.
    I'm such a geek :D

17. 6731

6731 Guest

Are all MD5 hashes that way or just the ones PG takes? Never heard of that before.

18. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

No, this is just a feature of PG to stop large extremely large EXE files from causing a huge delay. If you run a 600MB EXE file, its going to take a long time to MD5 check it. Checking the first 16MB is still good, since these sorts of EXE's are installer stubs - the first part of the file is what matters, CODE. The rest of the file is DATA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.