ProcessGuard V3.000 beta 2 problems

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by LuckMan212, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Any time you see a crash and the address appears around the mystical 0x4o_O?? it is usually a bug in the program. I think I have found the cause of this particular one, it was due to having too many ALERTS without the procguard.exe handling any of them.

This explains your "unattended" crash, but it doesn't really explain your "I was reading the forums" crash. When you were reading the forums, was ProcessGuard in your systray? And if it was in the tray, was it flashing blue for a little while? If it wasn't in you tray (ie Procguard.exe wasn't loaded) then it can also explain that one.

I have fixed this problem in dcsuserprot.exe

2. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

man I wish I could remember -- I can't even remember what I had for breakfast most of the time... :p But, most likely it Procguard was NOT in the system tray as normally I don't run it unless I am configuring. But there is a chance that it was running because I was mucking around with it that day.

Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by too many alerts? I assume you are not talking about the popup windows that ask you to Accept or Deny access, right? because I didnt get any of those that day. But maybe you are just talking about general alerts internal to the program?

In any case glad you found something to fix... Is there going to be another beta before the final?

3. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

The fix was related to too many alerts being buffered up by the service, too many for it to handle. Which is why when you ran that batch file with a few hundred executions it filled up the buffer allowing this crash to occur. The buffer contains around 256 log entries (which is enough when Procguard.exe is around since around 10-20 updates occur per second), however when Procguard.exe wasn't there to take the alerts from the service it built up until the crash.

So simply, it was a bug in the service, which is now fixed, and won't happen regardless of how many log items occur. I doubt there will be a new PUBLIC BETA, but if you email me I will give you a link to the new build.

4. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:cool: TRANSLATION YOU STUFFED PROCESSGUARD WITH SO MUCH JUNK FOOD IT PUKED

AND GAVE YOUR PC A BELLY ACHE

So i was right the first time when i mention the dowenloading all that stuff from his first few posts and that it crashed i was just wrong about the alerts stacking up on pop ups

it was silent ones stacking up

5. LuckMan212

well Jason pm'ed me and now I am waiting for the private new beta build.... so we will see if hopefully this issue is fixed............. I will let you all know as soon as I hear from him...

6. Mr.Blaze

Re: Process Guard V3.000 beta 2 problems

:D HI there well i hope it works awesome remember to back up your system i hope you have a program like go-back

then run Jason program into the ground with hardcore testing to see if it can withstand the punishment so we all know it really works

i feel beta testing should be extreme so later down the line these things don't happened.

thanks for helping us out in the end it makes a better product for us all

7. Mr.Blaze

well what the heck where the update on how things are going

8. Mr.Blaze

:mad: tap tap foot ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh anybody there

click

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Blazie, Things are going extremely well with the latest private betas :)
    I cannot tell you everything that has been changed but I can tell you that the issue with services.exe appears to be solved for 99% of cases - hopefully this will be improved upon before release.
    Close Message Handling is now stable and even safer i.e covering the different methods used for closing down programs.
    Many driver tweaks and GUI enhancments have been added.

No release date has been stated as yet, quite rightly IMO, as DCS want to ensure that there are as few problems as possible.

HTH Pilli

10. LuckMan212

guys I am still here, Jason sent me a private beta a couple of days ago but wouldn't you know it of course Murphy's Law has hit me and a large (1.2terabyte) array of mine went down :( and I have spent a lot of time recovering data etc.. past few days so I haven't had time to properly test this new beta. I plan to put it through the paces this weekend so I will post back my results.......... nice to hear that Pilli is having good luck w. them.

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

That was unlucky Luckman :) Hope you never lost much data.

Looking forward to your report, hopefuly the beta you have will be more satisfactory.

Cheers. Pilli

12. Mr.Blaze

terabyte omg i only seen 1 computer in my life with a terabyte hd

it was on the screensavers in theory it kicked but lol

but the problem was if one hd goes dowen al of them do which made it unstable

there was a program that would combine all hd's into one massive partion but try backing up a terabyte lol

well thats awsome to know Pilli

LuckMan212 thx for your feed back

sorry things still going on bad for you but at least theres no way but up frome here on

13. patchx

patchx Registered Member

LuckMan212 of the items you wanted to know about i found out this " ati2evxx.exe is the ATI External Event Utility for your ATI display drivers. It manages the ATI Hotkey feature. This process can be removed to free up resources. " so it looks to be an unimportant piece of software

14. LuckMan212

hmmm didn't expect this thread to wake up again, but thanks for the info.

all of the issues mentioned above seem to be worked out in the PG3 final. (sweet)
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.