ProcessGuard error Please Help

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Gordon34, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon34

Gordon34 Registered Member

Hello,

I uninstalled PG 3.2 in order to install the latest PG 3.4. After uninstallation/reboot, I did a few manual checkups as suggested by the help file:

* Checked whether ProcGuard.sys was gone and ProcGuard was gone from my DeviceManager listing - Yes

* procguard.dll and pguard.dat were gone from system32 - Yes

* ProcessGuard install folder gone from "Program Files" - NO !!

Apparently the log files "pglog_2006xxxxx.txt" cannot be deleted since I get the "File is in use" message from windows. I tried deleting it in safemode and still no luck. Then I tried to delete it on next reboot (MoveFile call) still no luck.

How can I delete these remanents and install PG 3.4?
    Any help is very much appreciated!

Thank you

2. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

3. Gordon34

Thanks for the quick reply Texcritter. Very much appreciated :)

Would you believe I was dumb enough not to set security permissions for those log files? Granted myself "Full Control" and viola all gone :D. But who would restrict modify access to log files huh? .. so saying sadistically points the finger @ Diamond Team hehehe.

Have a nice day

4. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Regardless of the cure the important thing is you have resolved your problem
    (it could also help others who may encounter the same problem)

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Why is it necessary to remove a log file in order to install 3.4? (The others I understand). Gee, the more I read here the more I know I am not moving beyond 3.15.

6. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

Never had this problem happen, the log files in PG install folder have always deleted, and as 3.4 has been out for some time and there has been no other posts about this problem here at wilders, to my knowledge, I think it's safe to assume, I know dangerous word, that this might have been a system specific problem and not something to be seen as a sign not to upgrade.

7. Gordon34

Dear Mele20,

The reason we have to delete the log files is because it simply would not delete after an uninstall. I don't like orphan log files harvesting on my machine hehe. As for why it does not delete is simply because PG sets security permissions on log files (Atleast for me it did!) which is really not necessary.

However this is not a major issue for you not to upgrade to 3.4, though you may not prefer to upgrade for more important concerns raised by other members :D

Cheers

8. Gordon34

Dear strangequark,

I don't think this is a system specific problem. Who knows maybe the green goblin sneaked in while I was asleep and removed modify access rights to these log files from my adminstrator a/c. :gack:

:thumb:

9. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

Ah yes, the old green goblin, I've tried sleeping with one eye open but he still gets past every now and then. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.