Processes Running Under Shadow Protect

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by LenC, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I use Shadow Protect in a manual mode. I periodically start the program and create a full back up.

I noticed that I have two SP processes running on my computer - even when I have not started the program since the most recent bootup. I checked my startup programs (using CCleaner) and did not see any SP startups.

I'm just curious how and why those processes are always running. Any ideas?

Thank you,
    Len

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

They run for scheduling, and if you want to use Continous Incrementals. They might also be needed for regular backups, and might not start right if you don't start them at boot. Not sure about that.

If all you do is manual backup's you could uninstall and run from the CD.

Pete

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Thank you Pete.

If I look at the startup tab in msconfig, I see no mention of SP. Maybe I am displaying a profound lack of understanding as to how computers work, but what is starting these processes? If I wanted to stop them from starting, how would I do that?

Again, I'm just curious. I am delighted with SP and am not inclined to tamper with it in any way.

4. Peter2150

They aren't in the startup tab. Look in the services tab and you will see them there. And yes you are wise to just leave well enough alone.

Pete

5. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Peter -

At the risk of belaboring this issue, help me understand how the sp processes get started automatically upon bootup? Does it have something to do with sp registry entries?

Thank you,
    Len

6. Peter2150

Now you are getting me in over my head.:D In simple terms when a service is set to start automatically at somepoint. It may well be a function in the registry. I am not sure.

Pete

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello LenC,
    if you use windows xp do the following:
    control panel,administive tools,services. then simply find the Shadow protect services.
    in vista just type services in to the search box.
    make sure its run as admin otherwise you cant make any changes to services.

8. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I found the following post by "Nate" (SC Support and general SP guru) on the SC forum. Hope it helps, at least somewhat:

You can set both of those services to manual. Just be sure to manually start the "StorageCraft Shadow Copy Provider" before you perform a backup. You don't need to start the "ShadowProtect Service" manually because it will automatically start (even when it's set to manual start) whenever you launch the ShadowProtect GUI and connect to your localhost (which usually happens by default when you launch the GUI).

In such a scenario, the service is started by DCOM because when ShadowProtect.exe instantiates the COM object which is implemented by ShadowProtectSvc.exe (the ShadowProtect Service), DCOM must start the registered "COM Server" for that component, which is ShadowProtectSvc.exe. Hmm, I probably could have explained that a bit better. Lemme know if you're still confused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.