Process traffic logging -- Feature Request

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by kingsbry, Nov 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingsbry

kingsbry Registered Member

A friend asked if Port Explorer could do the following:

" I'm looking for a utility that will track total MB's downloaded by program, both for a session and for a specific period until cleared. In other words, if I have a browser, newsreader, ftp, and email being used, I need to monitor usage for each program. My ISP just put a cap on newsgroup downloads so I'd like to be able to track it in real time and not commingle the data with other programs that are also responsible for traffic. "

Can Port Explorer already do this ?
    Or, can this be recorded as a feature request ?

Thank you,

Bill

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Bill,
    with the socket spy you can by process, and in the data received/sent you can see the totals per socket, but i think you would like it per process/application and being able to log it per day/month and that's not really there in that way yet. I'm not aware of such a program: i could imagine one per application or data totals per application, but per kind of useage of the same application ... not yet.
    I mean: if you use your IE for browing websites and for ftp and for webmail at the same time, you can see those sockets in the send/received data, you can see them in the socket spy, but if you use for instance your outlook express at the same time for email and newsgroups you get those if spied on mixed in the captured data too.
    The socket spy does collect what you let it spy (your application) on and every bit is there.
    But you can imagine that capture bin is growing fast that way, you can save it away with another name in your directory to keep it and you'll see it's size and your collection can indicate the total size.
    But you can not create separate captures at the same instance per application, they all are collected together in one capture at that same time.
    If capturing FTP is the post essential for you you could use the socket spy on that only when you're gong to use that function and save the capture bin away with another name like today's date for instance each time, keep them in a separate folder so you have the total size over a period without the need to look into them. Hope this helps you somewhat for the time being.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.