Process Lasso : Extreme speed with automatic adjustment of windows memory

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by PROROOTECT, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

I actually purchased a license for this app but unfortunately I don't notice a lick of improvement on my system. As a matter of fact, my system seems to be a bit sluggish when I had it installed. I emailed support and was told that I need more RAM.

Gee, thanks. :rolleyes:

2. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Currently trying this app. I do notice somewhat of a more responsive gaming experience with it on and the game's exe configured to run automatically under game mode. One odd thing is that it's nagging me to purchase the license cos of the 14 day limitation even if I only had it on for 1 day. o_O

3. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Big fan of Process Lasso and Jeremy but not that big I will pay for it.

Hate nag screens. If it's free then it's free.

Now using Process Tamer.

Ian

4. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

That's a lie!

Just bought family licence of Process Lasso.:D

Ian

5. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Just curious... why do you buy this app if it is free? Pro v. offers more features?

6. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Unless I don't understand the functionality of these type apps, I've never had them successfully "unfreeze" my pc when it is locked up!

7. demonon

demonon Guest

Because of this:

(Just scroll down a little)

8. Creer

Creer Registered Member

10x demonon I missed that.

I wonder if this application really works, i have installed ProcessLasso on my computer with Windows 7 and i don't feel any difference. What a pitty that this kind of software can not be objective tested, there are only subjective thoughts.

9. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I sort of agree. I've had it running here for a while, and I am not sure it's worth the resources it uses.

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

They are supposed to be running before, and avoid the lockup. They lower the priority for CPU hogging processes.
    It works better if you avoid those processes or change operating system :D

12. PROROOTECT

Process Lasso is now classified as Shareware with v3.55.5 beta (April 23, 2009, by George!) ...o_O

'Since Process Lasso can be used freely, we had to give users some incentive to purchase a licence.'

I look on Process Lasso FAQ:

'Is the free build completely free?
    - Yes, home and academic users can freely use it for as long as they want. However, after the product has been installed a while, a couple rarely used features are disabled ( instance count limits and periodic memory trimming) and some nags are shown to encourage the user to upgrade to Process Lasso Pro.'

Jeremy response: 'These nags are tolerable, as they are meant to be reminders, not to annoy.'

I look in download.cnet.com, or Software.TechRepublic.com, or downloads.ZDNet.com /Process Lasso features:
    'Version: 3.60. Licence: Free to try. Limitations: Limited features, nag screen. Price: $ 14.95.'

... and fileforum.betanews.com /Process Lasso 3.60: 'Despite being free for home use, it is now classified as Shareware to prevent any user confusion or complaints.' And look here: 'Shareware; $ 9.95.'

Jeremy, wake up!

Please remember that many of us live in poverty ...

I can not send you the nags, but ...

Yours PROROOTECT:thumb:

13. Peter2150

I've stopped updating it, but the minute I see a nag screen it's history. I gladly pay for a lot of software, but this baby isn't really doing a thing for me.

14. ratchet

What I'm saying is that PL has been enabled and active, and I'm doing something that freezes the PC. I feel that it is implied by the description that with its default settings it can temporarily change priorities and prevent a lock up from happening - which it never has, having tried at least three versions. On top of that, during a freeze, Task Manager still won't open to manually kill the process that is responsible. Point being, at least on this five year old, XP, Pentium 4, the app seems quite useless. Like I stated, at least three times I've installed it then have it not help, uninstalled, then install a newer version later and have the same thing happen.

15. PROROOTECT

Well, Process Lasso or Process Tamer - is not this same sort of softwares like Ram Optimizer ... but i read this little note from Acelogix Software/Ram Optimizer:

'Note: Windows XP has a very state-of-the-art memory management, and you won't notice any performance improvement when using memory optimizers. All such optimizers/boosters available on the market - both freeware and trialware - are useless for XP and others to follow. Such programs are recommended for 95/98/ME ONLY.'

Yes, well done Acelogix: This is a very FAIR approach to the matter. And very very logix.:thumb:

PS. And in Process Hacker/right click on each process - you have 'Reduce Working Set' possibility - one click ... for example on explorer.exe yeah! User-friendly ... And you can click on 'Priority' in Process Hacker, or 'Set Priority' in Process Explorer ...

To alleviate the life of Windows - its resources - and your pocket - one should remove the programs (and services) - and not add them.

... tiny Windows tiny ... good ...*puppy*

P:thumb:

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I understand you now. Note that, while i never used these apps for more than 2 weeks perhaps, i did like Process Tamer better. It was simple enough, and for the description provided (nothing fancy), it seemed to work. I tuned one rule or another too.

If you don't have any badly behaved programs that hog the CPU, i don't think it's worth it - it won't do a thing to help you. imo

17. ratchet

I agree! Giving these apps the benefit of the doubt, I suppose if you knew what might cause a slow down or freeze and if you understood how to use the features of the app, you could set it up to prevent it from ever happening. But...a lot of "ifs" there!

18. mantra

mantra Registered Member

cool
    in the installation it asked to me
    what's the meaning of reset windows option?

19. Peter2150

well I've had a problems here lately on a newer high end machine, and from what i can see Process Lasso, did absolutely nothing.

I would rate this app as pretty near useless.

Pete

20. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Reset PL'windows to default (I don't check it if I have installed it yet, with customized windows options).

I can't say the same.

21. 2good

2good Guest

well if you like process lasso I have something intersting I just found its called CpUsage works very well real light on resources & you could find it at Filepig.com.enjoy

22. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

2good

Not sure how you got CpUsage from Filepig.com this is all i see. Do you have a correct link ?

Attachment in Progress. o_O Board software not responding to uploading pics o_O Mods please note & fix. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  23. 2good

2good Guest

24. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

PROROOTECT

Hi, don't know i missed this one ? As it's been around for a few years.

Anyway as it's not just one of those standard memory shifters, it might be useful. I note lots of differing views on it. Could be something to do with settings/options or their PC setups ?

Thanks.

25. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks

what are the PL windows option ? i mean the process lasso windows option , i can't understand the different between reset the reset option and
    reset windws option

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.