Process Integrity Level

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by xxJackxx, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Is there any kind of software that anyone is aware of that will indicate if a process is running elevated in Windows 7 without having to open Process Explorer and check it there? It would be nice if it could add it to the window title or indicate it on the taskbar or something.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I only know of process explorer.

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

This is a manual application, I believe, but see if it's what you're looking for - UAC Process Analyzer 1.0

-http://www.itknowledge24.com/downloads.html

Screenshot: -http://www.itknowledge24.com/screenshots/uac_process_analyzer.png

4. m00nbl00d

-edit-

I just gave the application I mentioned a try, and it's just an on-demand application. Meaning, you can browse through the currently running processes, and check their info, including the integrity level, and that's it.

5. xxJackxx

Thanks, looks cool but doesn't add anything over Process Explorer.

I was uninstalling Secunia PSI and you would think they would know better but when done it opens an elevated instance of IE9 to present you with a survey. Since IE9 no longer displays protected mode status if you don't keep track of that window or don't know better yourself you could end up browsing with an instance of IE running full admin. It would be nice if something that was running elevated would have a red window border or something similar to quickly and easily identify it so you don't do anything stupid with it.

6. m00nbl00d

Yes, I know. It could evolve a bit. It could run in the background and provide tray bar notifications when a process the user wishes to track runs with a high integrity level.

The only alternatity, as you mentioned is Process Explorer... I'm wondering if Process Hacker has such feature? There's been a while since I've opened it. I'll check it out.

Maybe something Process Hacker developer could add to it.

7. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Classic IE9 which is a part of Classic Shell has an option to show Protected Mode in the status bar. Classic Shell gives options on install to install only selected components.

Untitled.png

8. xxJackxx

Thanks. m00nbl00d suggested that in another thread last night and I am loving it so far. :thumb:

Though it is a much lower priority now I would still like to see something that makes it obvious for all programs. As an admin I often have to elevate processes on other machines at work and I have to make sure the employees are not running elevated processes. I dislike how some software insists on opening itself after installation and I have to tell the user, "Close that, it is running under the admin account". Worse yet when it opens a browser window (most employees have Firefox as default) and I have to make them close it so they are not infecting the network with something.

9. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Perhaps PowerBroker Desktops could be used to ensure that a given program never opens with admin privileges.

10. m00nbl00d

Not sure if it was really what you wanted, but I believe SuRun does give the info you want in the tray bar, when a process is running with elevated rights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.