Process Guard start up

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Deer.Fern, Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deer.Fern

Deer.Fern Guest

Hi,

Should Process Guard v.1.150 be automatically starting up in my system tray, and staying there unless I close it?

I ask because the earlier version did not do that. Neither did this version, until I hit the "Pin to Start Menu" from the right click on my Process Guard Icon.

I uninstalled, I even system restored to prior to install, but still, it remains in system tray.

Guess that's ok if it's what it is suppose to do??

Thank you, Carol

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Happy New Year Deer Fern,

ProcGuard.exe should run at start up with a PG Icon in the notifiication area. (Usually bottom right of your desktop)
    ProcGuard.sys is always running from start up and is active even if ProcGuard.exe is not started, procguard.exe being your interface to the driver.
    When you try to close procguard.exe using the x or menu exit a Human Verification should open which must be completed fo you to actually close it.

HTH Pilli

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

That's definitely not happening here, Pilli - I can right-click and "Exit" PG (the SYSTRAY icon) all day long with out the HID popping up - same with "x"ing it to close. Pete

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Oh? Hmm when you open procguard.exe protection is disabled by default, this needs checking to enable protection as do both general protection options:
    Below is a screanie showing my procguard settings note the permissions for procguard.exe & pg_msgprot.exe :

Also using sysinfo ensure that the procguard.sys driver is running
    System Information - Software Environment - System Drivers "Started" should show a "Yes" and "Start mode" set as Auto.

Attached Files:

5. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

I have removed procguard.exe from the protected list as it doesn't need to be protected

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

7. deerfern

deerfern Registered Member

I think my prior version must not have uninstalled properly, because PG 1.5 did not have the icon in the lower right tray, which is what confused me.

Now, just a bit more confusion .... I realize PG does not need to be running in order to protect my system.

Why, then, do I need the icon in the tray? And if I close that icon, with the required manual human interaction, does it then actually stop protecting my system (had to ask)

Thanks, Carol

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Deerfern, Closing the tray icon programme (procguard.exe) does not stop the procguard.sys driver from working, unless you have disabled protection. :) Therefore you are protected when the icon is not being displayed. In effect procguard.exe is just the window (user) interface for setting the driver parameters such as the listed programmes & their associated rights.

HTH Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.