Process guard questions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hjk, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hjk

hjk Registered Member

Hi,
    i will post some questions from time to time when i will have more expierience with this good security software. For the start i would like to ask what this means. Firefox.exe tried to install driver/service (Process ID 1876). Adobe_updater was blocked from reading firefox.exe (Process ID is the same).
    When should i be worried? Should i allow explorer.exe to install driver/service? This is not a default settings for explorer. I had this kind of alert some months ago. What kind of alert would be if my machine is about to be infected with kernel level rootkit?

Thanks.

2. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

all hips software based on user knowledge , and doesnt fit for all users. this is a total answer to your question
    particular any new system behavior / alert must be consider for its self, again base on your understanding how os works

cheers

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

when you fisrt run ProcessGuard you have to run it at learning point cause you could block stuff you need for regular use,so it is advisible to run it in learning mode for one day ofcourse dont introduce any malware mean while it is traing.after that you can remove the learning option and all be normal like it suppose to be.

4. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

jmonge, create a restore point after you install it and have some fun with it. Making mistakes is 99% of the game!

Dave

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i know dave i am in this game too:D

6. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

And we both worry about having a few "rough reboots," too:D

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yeap:D

8. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

found it block drivers in install mode even it in "learn mode" :)
    dont much like it also its missing and save config option

cheers

9. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

To add thank godness for bootable recovery and image restore for these rough boot after boot after boot No more windows.:argh: Ah images images images:D

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

and freezing up for like 10 minutes:'(

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,

It is indeed often difficult to know what to allow or deny when using HIPS. I've had PG for a longtime, and basically stopped using it because of Vista (there are other reasons which I'm not going to mention).

When I was using PG, it really was very effective as anti executable, and basically this is all you need most of the time to keep track of anything that might execute behind the scenes. I also thought it was very effective against malware terminating other security applications (malware usually disables the antivirus in order to infect your computer).

My general approach to it as far as what to deny or to allow (I'm not good at identifying what's what) was that if PG springs into action unexpectedly (without you doing anything, and while browsing) then you ought to worry about the possibility of malware. Same concerns should apply if you are downloading anything from untrusted sources.

The other safe way to do it is to use it with a virtualizer: Returnil for exemple (has a free version, if you don't want to pay), while in protected mode you can try out possibilities in PG and see what the consequences are, if you don't like them, a simple reboot and you are back the the previous state.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  12. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

That's why I back up my registry so very, very frequently. Thank God for ERUNT!
    Dave

13. progress

progress Guest

There is no registry protection in Process guard, am I right? So Process guard is only a very light HIPS :rolleyes:

14. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.