Process Guard, Prevx, Online Armour?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ejr, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Are all of these programs similar in nature?

Can someone that has tried all of them explain the pluses and minuses of each?

2. modano

modano Registered Member

online armor the best!!!!

3. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Can you tell me why you think that? What it does better than the others? Can you post any kind of comparison?

I've mever used any of them but am intrigued.

4. modano

modano Registered Member

i sugest you test them all and then decide which is better.i am no pro telling about security apps but thats my suugestion.;)

5. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
    I have never used Online Armour. It seems to be in the way it works between ProcessGuard and Prevx1. The feature set is different (understand this is from taking the tour on the Online Armor site): Prevx and ProcessGuard guard your system from baddies getting in and stopping them if already in. I have used ProcessGuard and Prevx Home, later Prevx Pro, and finally Prevx1. ProcessGuard is a good program. You must during the learning mode use every program that you normally use; then those programs will be allowed, and any new program, or malware, will be queried. Some knowledge of programs, processes, and a paranoid brain is necessary. It relies on be newness, suspect behavior, and comparison with local programs permitted. It works. I don't use it now on my old workhorse, this one, computer; I plan to use it on another computer used as server; one that doesn't change much.
    I use Prevx1 (individual). Prevx Ltd believes that it takes a village to protect your computer. Some folk complain about the long scan during the installation, but what Prevx1 does is list all programs for a local database (on your computer), then sends the programprint (nothing else) to Prevx's database of known good and bad programs, it checks. If it finds malware it offs it; if it finds unknown it asks you about it. It really works well because a baddie only needs to be seen once by a Prevx user, then the protection is downloaded to all.
    I am a raving paranoid; I used to have several of each category of security programs. The Prevx folk say that you only need Prevx and a desktop firewall. Maybe, but I still keep an antivirus, couple of antiTrojans, antirootkit, and a couple of antispyware programs. Prevx1 does not conflict with any other security program that I know. You might want to query this in Copernic or Google. These are the security programs -behind a Linksys router- that I use now:

Prevx1
    Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4
    SpywareBlaster v3.5.1
    Trojan Remover 6.4.9
    Ad-Aware SE Personal
    DiamondCS Wormguard
    DiamondCS WormGuard Hook
    ewido anti-malware
    RootkitRevealer v.1.7
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite (firewall, antispyware, eTrust EZ Antivirus, Mailfrontier Spamfilter)
    Prevx1 protects against what all the above programs protect against and better, except it isn't a spamfilter. So according to Prevx all you need is Prevx1, a desktop firewall, and, I will add, a spamfilter, unless your mail client is Mozilla Thunderbird which has one. Actually I believe Prevx but I already had perpetual licenses for Trojan Remover, Wormguard, and licenses for ewido (replaced TDS-3 for me) and ZA Security Suite, and the rest I have used a long time and they're free. The other programs, except Mailfrontier spamfilter, act as backup for Prevx1. Do I seem enthusiastic about P1. Yeah.
    I also have PGP, CryptoSuite, and Password Safe installed. Encryption is needed by each citizen nowadays.
    You should search this forum. I am sure that there are discussions about this.
    I highly recommend Prevx1.
    Individual License for 1 Year $19.95 (what I have)
    Family License-4 Licenses for 1 Year $64.00 (parents can monitor other computers in family)
    Business License-2 Licenses for 1 Year $59.96 (I did a trial of this and didn't need added features of seeing latest global threats etc.)
    There is the free beta version Prevx1r. From what I see all of these offer good protection, but Prevx1 offers good constantly evolving protection. I observed the info that my installation sends and the updates: sometimes old protections are removed, sometimes updated, and sometimes new protection modules are added. Prevx1 has an ondemand scanner too.
    check out each and decide what works for you. I can testify about ProcessGuard and Prevx; Online Armor seems okay.

http://www.tallemu.com/Take-A-Tour.php
    online armor

http://free.prevx.com/
    http://individual.prevx.com/

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  6. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

I agree with modano.
    My experience is that Prevx is a bit of a memory hog.
    Both PG and OA seem in my experience to be very solid but they do things a little differently.
    I use PG on my desktop PC as part of a layered defence with LnS firewall, Hardware Firewall, NOD32, Spysweeper , Ewido (all real time) with FD-ISR as the ultimate failsafe.
    Online Armor does a bit more than PG in terms of protecting your hosts file and dealing with website 'nasties' as well as being a IDS/HIPS. I use this in my laptop with just a firewall, antivirus and on demand scanners as I like to keep the background resource usage lighter and avoid using too many real time scanners.
    Online Armor allows me to do away with these extra layers.
    In the end it comes down to how much existing protection you have and whether you need just a HIPS/IDS (PG) or the full package- in which case I think you might prefer OA.
    Both come with excellent online support and I don't think you'd go far wrong with either.

7. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I have used all three - in fact I have licenses for all they are all interesting.

But I would not rate OA as the best it does not offer as strong as protection as PG or Prevx in my opinion- I also found OA slowed my boot time to a noticable level.

For a simple all in one I'd go for Prevx. I use Prevx and PG together with Outpost. I can't think of anything that this combo can't do that OA would add to the mix.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  8. L Bainbridge

I'd agree with that last point- I've certainly noticed a boot time slow down with Online Armor and whilst it may not be as good overall as PG or even Prevx it does depend on how concerned you are with your defences and to some extent with where you go on the internet.
    I haven't used Prevx for a while (and this may have changed with updates to the software) but I see a noticeable 'drag' on my PC with it which I haven't noticed with the other 2.

9. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Prevx1 is the most userfriendly of the lot
    OA is easy enough to understand and fairly user friendly
    PG if you've never used a similar product may take just a little getting used to (but is really quite simple to understand - once you do understand it)

PG + OA use very little resources
    Prevx1 uses more resources

PG rarely gets updates (but doesn't necessarily need them)
    OA gets frequent updates (it downloads a list of known safe files to your computer)
    Prevx1 relies on the net (it checks files you run with a central database to see if they are safe or not)

The comparative amount of protection (between themselves) that they offer may be a little debatable. I would see Prevx1 as closer to an antispyware/trojan than anything else (but in a unique and very effective way).

OA is moving in a similar (but not the same) direction to Prevx (they offer an AV component now, and when they introduce the firewall, will be introducing more behaviour based rules among other things)

Still...the best thing is to try them for yourself (they all offer trials I think), and see which one you like best

10. Saint Satin Stain

Prevx1 (individual) and ProcessGuard both use local database of what is is allowed. Prevx1 checks it against a much larger database of Prevx Ltd. ProcessGuard is good, except it does not adapt to new threats and does not clean. PG is good if you know your computer. Maysome here may be talking about Prevx Home and Prevx Pro, older manifestations.
    I got another computer; it has ZoneAlarm free and Prevx1. I decided to to not even install an antispy. I turned off the antispy in Yahoo bar on Firefox and IE. Thunderbird is the mail client. I'll see what happens. So far, 24 hours. O yeah, I dmzed it.
    Security nowadays has to be as agile as the badguys. Prevx1 comes closest to that agility. When some new baddy trick comes that ProcessGuard can't handle, I am sure that DiamondCS will find a cure. They will need to see many instances of it to know that it is a threat. Prevx needs just one instance on a Prevx protected computer to respond. All Prevx computers get the protection. Prevx has corporate, small biz, family, and individual installations reporting. Just as important as the malware database is the good program one. The good open source and freeware used by Windows folks are added to it constantly. So on my new Prevx installation everything came back clean. Programs that I thought esoteric were in it. Try Prevx1 in the Prevx1ABC mode and it protects seldom bothering you. It has three modes Prevx1ABC(set it and almost forget it), Prevx1 Pro(for fiddlers), and Prevx1 Expert (the last for geeks who like to fiddle wid things a lot). I switch modes according to what I'm doing. ABC when I'm working, writing, doing research; that's most of the time. The Pro and Expert when exploring the net with firewall and browsers left somewhat open. No problems yet. But I would feel almost as comfortable with ProcessGuard, but I would never use just a firewall and ProcessGuard (it has no scanning/cleaning function). Prevx1 has a scanning/cleaning function, protects against viruses, Trojans, keyloggers, exploits, spyware, and rootkits; it adapts to new threats. It takes a whole village to protect your computer. Yeah, main.

11. Saint Satin Stain

I only have a lil 1,19 Gigherz AMD, 512 mb ram and I don't see a noticeable drag on my system. What are your stats?
    My new computer is 2+ Gigherz AMD and a gig of ram; I don't expect that ZA free and Prevx1 will slow it down even a tittle.

Attached Files:

• MEM.JPG
      MEM.JPG
      File size:
      147.3 KB
      Views:
  12. ejr

ejr Registered Member

OK...Prevx1 in ABC mode seems like the program for me based on this discussion. Though I will also try OA. I'm gonna pass on PG as I am not a computer savvy person.

Question about PREVX1. It relies on other users for datapoints. What happens when PREVX1 users mislabel a good or bad program? For examaple, when a user mistakenly lables a new baddie as a good program. And let's just say that this person is the first person to run across this new baddie? I can see this happening, particulalry with the less savvy users. What happens then?

13. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Both Prevx1 and OA will ask you what you want to do for a piece of software unknown to them.

If you choose allow, and it is malware...Prevx1 does checks on all new files...if it is found to be malware, they update their database, and you are notified, and the malware is removed.

OA does a very similar thing - though probably not quite as automated (OA allows you to track changes made by unknown programs, and any changes can be undone should the need arise)

...the difference between the two programs on this score is that Prevx1 requires the internet connection to send program info - theirs is a pure community style of protection, while OA allows you to opt in or out with regards to sharing with OA programmers what you choose to run on your computer)

14. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi ejr, as your thread is not a Process Guard Support issue and is a question about comparison of several products, I have moved it from the Vendors forum to here.

Cheers :D

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I haven't tried any of the programs designated by this thread except for OA. Therefore, I shall confine my comments to listing OA's main capabilities, & let others make comparisons as warranted.

*** OA-Basic includes the following security protections: Application firewall, Spam killer, Web-surfing guard, HOSTS guard, Email guard, Spam killer, IE extensions guard, key loggers guard, trusted/untrusted/protected web sites.

***OA-AV+ includes all of the protections in OA-Basic PLUS it also includes Kaspersky Anti-Virus.

***A full-scope firewall is in final development stages. AFAIK, it will be included in both OA-Basic and OA-AV+.

I alternate between the 2 OA versions (for reasons of my own). Both of them are rock-steady on my WinME partition which (in view of ME's nervous-nelly nature) is saying a LOT. ^_^

OA has kept me out of trouble for nearly 1 year now. Its tech support forum is friendly, competent, and blooooody fast!

16. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

There are several other products to consider;

Desktop Armor
    www.desktoparmor.com
    (VERY competant and light product)

Grr!
    http://www.greyware.com/software/grr/overview.asp
    (Super duper light, basic protections of important things, and ability to define specific files and directories to "Guard" from changes)

SafeNSec
    http://www.safensoft.com/
    (Strong protections, but haven't tried it in a long time, it was pretty nice last year when I had a license for it.)

SecureProcess
    http://www.stardock.com/products/thinkdesk/
    (Currently in Beta Testing as part of the ThinkDesk Suite. I helped develop this product when I was at Stardock. Basically, it allows you to control processes, what launches, what doesn't launch, and what each one can do. Even has full lockdown mode for infected computers, and other nice things and is super-duper lite.)

preEMPT
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1880006,00.asp
    (Haven't tried this one in a year or two.)

17. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

I like the idea of Prevx1 and Online Armor a lot, it is one of the first attempts to equip so called HIPS with at least some intelligence, or at least some back and forth interaction between the user and the company.

It's already done to some extent in AVs and AS when you send suspicious files to be analysised , but I think this will benefit HIPS a lot more. Particularly Prevx1's white list of files is a big boon to anyone who doesn't have a clue on how to judge whether something is reputable and likely to be safe, and something that isn't.

For the alpha-geeks in this forum it probably doesn't matter, but for the rank and file users, it is very important. Prevx1 is as close as you can practically get to a set it and forget it style that AV users are used to. Particularly if you only use main stream apps.

18. L Bainbridge

Have to confess I haven't tried Prevx1 since the beta which did cause some slowdown opening apps, despite having 2.8 AMD and 2 gigs of RAM, but admittedly having NOD32, Ewido, PG and Spysweeper all running in realtime.
    Guess its time to have another look at Prevx1 - or will do when the Ewido and Spysweeper licenses run out....

19. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I have tried all 3 of them.
    If I had to use one of them, it would be OA, PG and then Prevx.
    Reasons:
    OA is the lightest, least cluttered and most user friendly. It provides the user with enough tools while hiding the gruesome input of code that no one understands (the hklm wants to marry hclu on xxdse:00 address style).
    PG is light and robust, but a bit confusing.
    Prevx is heavy and slow and in fact intereferes a lot with everyday work. It prevents installs and running on legit programs. Not something for people who like fast and quick solutions.
    Mrk

20. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

As I noted else where, PrevX does seem to incur a fairly heavy resource cost.

For me it is most noticable when you start a new program and it does "authentication", there is a noticable pause say about 3-5 seconds ? while it connects online??. This can get irrirating sometimes.

Not sure what PrevX can do about that, since I doubt there is any way it can offload all the information it has locally to avoid that.

But I must say I find it's pretty good at recognising and letting by mainstream legimate programs. Though for most of us, who use offbeat less common programs, it is probably less helpful.

The other major slow down time is when it just starts but that one is expected.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Out of these three I like the way Prevx works most but its slowing down the system si really bad. But it is the best HIPS I will say as it gives u aoem idea what to do. With PG, it all dependes upon u. U can allow a malware to run and might stop a legitimate process by mistake while it is far less common with Prevx. OA is in between but more towards PG, if it gets a good white and a good black list of processes it will rock.

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, never heard ot it, even the name sounds rather non-seroius with funny face on it GUI.
    Anydofy have tried it.

23. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I haven't tried it, but its description sounds very similar to the functions of WinPatrol Plus, Arovax, DestopArmor, et alia.

Such being the case, & since I already have both WinPat+ & Arovax available (not running), Grr's $25 price tag is sufficiently off-putting that I don't even want to give it a trial. I wish somebody else would, though. I'm curious to read, but am unmotivated to try/buy. Slothful of me, wot?:gack:

24. Saint Satin Stain

Maybe we are approaching this the wrong way. We may be making the assumption that we need an antivirus, firewall, antiTrojan, antispyware, and antirootki.
    HARDWARE ROUTER
    Linksys BEFSX41

SOFTWARE FIREWALL
    COMODO Personal Firewall

ANTIVIRUS/ANTI-TROJAN
    Prevx1
    ewido anti-malware (probably unnecessary, but I'm paranoid)
    Trojan Remover (on-demand and/or boot scan)

ANTI-ROOTKIT
    Prevx1
    RootkitRevealer (scanner)

This group is low impact, mostly scanners
    Ad-Aware SE Personal
    Wormguard
    Port Explorer
    JPEGScan
    Autoruns
    StartupMonitor
    ProcessExplorerNT
    McAfee AVERT Stinger
    McAfee AVERT Stinger for W32-Polip

Actually you only need
    a router, a firewall, Spybot S & D and Ad-Aware SE Personal, and Prevx1.
    I was running ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite and since it declares a conflict with Prevx I decided to use ZoneAlarm on my secondary computer or not use it at all. I believe that all I need is Prevx1, a software firewall, and Spybot S & D and/or Ad-Aware SE Personal. The others I keep because I have licenses or the low impact on my system. Prevx1 replaces antivirus, antiTrojan, and antirootkit. A tech at Prevx said that he has a router, Prevx1, and two antispyware scanners. His system, he feel, is secure. We have to give up our ideas about what is necessary for security. PG and Prevx1 and other similar technologies are the future.

25. RadicalEdward

RadicalEdward Registered Member

Can all three work at the same time, or do they conflict? So far I have only use PG and Prevx one seperate machines by themselves, but I was considering trying a combination or all of the three to see if they could run along side eachother...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.