Process Guard or Port Explorer?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by joed, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joed

joed Guest

Which would you chose?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Both, they are two completely different animals, ProcessGuard is a preventitive program for stopping malware interfering with processes or from letting them start in the first place whereas PortExplorer is more an analytical tool for watching connections, useful for catching malware that is already on a system and stopping it phoning home etc. Of the two PG would be my first choice :D

HTH Pilli

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi joed,

Depends upon what you are looking for. If you are looking to upgrade your day-to-day security, then ProcessGuard cannot be beat (assuming that it runs on your machine). If you are looking for a tool that will allow you to gather information about what information is being sent back and forth over your network, Port Explorer is superb. I have both product and use them both, but ProcessGuard provides me with far more bang for the buck.

Hope this helps,
    Rich

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, joed

I Have them both, but if I had to choose I would [after reading about them] go for ProcessGuard.

It will stop the Badie Dead, Port Explorer will show you if some badie is trying to dial home.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

5. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

I already have all DCS products and offshoots including Cryptosuite (now Ghost Security) and Regdefend (Ditto Ghost Sec). So what use is another copy of PG or PE to me?

So what's happening is that the people who bought the fewest DCS products are getting compensated while those who supported DCS the most are not. That does not seem fair.

6. David Schenk

David Schenk Guest

Yeah, that's true. But give them a chance--it's only been a few days since the decision was made and they may have some other form of compensation that they can come up with for you. My guess, though, is that it will take more than just two or three days for all this to be sorted out. I suggest giving them maybe two weeks of grace time before really getting peeved. If they can't find a way to help their longtime supporters and customers by then, well, then that would be a serious problem.

As for which to choose, I'll throw my admittedly very slight weight behind ProcessGuard. As other more knowledgable posters mentioned, it actually blocks all sorts of unwanted things from starting in the first place. PortExplorer, while nifty and all, just tells what's happening on your ports without ennabling you to do muchy about it. Think of it as a beefed-up kind of traffic log from your firewall; that seems to be the bulk of what it does (though it does do that very well).

ProcessGuard actually secures your machine better than any other software I've tried so far. It can be a bit overzealous if you aren't careful about your settings, but there's LOTS of information about how best to to weak your settings on this forum. Reading through it convinced me to buy.

Sincerely,

David Schenk

7. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

We've offered people who have both PE and PG a free license for a friend, so they can even choose to have their friend pay them for half of their license if they want. Again just drop us an email at sales@diamondcs.com.au !

Best regards,
    Wayne

Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.