Process guard free worth it?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Monkey_Feces, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkey_Feces

Monkey_Feces Registered Member

I already have windows defender, nod 32, ZA pro, and spyware blaster. Would process guard free be any better than ZAP's built in program firewall? I don't necessarily compromise my security with torrents and dubious sites, but I would like my security to stand up to such threats. I would rather not use PG because most of the time, I find myself having to address alerts using both ZAP and PG free. I would simply turn off my program firewall, but I'm also not sure if PGF offers the same protection as ZAP, namely, stopping programs from phoning home.

In addition to PG free (if it would complement my security), can anyone recommend any other ways to significantly enhance my security?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

u could use PG free to protect your security programs from being terminated.

and no PG does not control programs from connecting out.

as for your setup, ZA's OSFirewall already covers many things. just use Firefox (with NoScript extension) or Opera for browsing and u should be all set.

and lastly, id consider ditching Windows Defender in favor of AVG AntiSpyware or SUPERAntiSpyware for on-demand scans.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Process guard would only be useful as a replacement for ZA's OS firewall, not its application firewall. Even then process guard free isn't that great, prosecurity free or system safety monitor free would be better options.

4. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I would avoid PG as it is no longer a supported program. ZA will do you just fine. You may want to keep an eye on Online Armor if you're worried about enhancing your security. It may not be ready for prime-time just yet, but I've been a loyal Zone Labs customer and I've been beta testing OA and the firewall is very light and very cool.

5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

PG free will give you a high degree of safety in certain specific areas. In particular its execution protection will prevent executables from running if they do not have prior permission to do so. This can prevent exploits from foisting drive-by downloads on you and then running them. If that is an attack vector that concerns you PG would be of great benefit.

PG is not a FW though and has nothing to do with 'stopping programs from phoning home'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.