Process Guard Driver Public Beta

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Jason_DiamondCS, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Ok the most important aspect of this Public Beta is to not mess around with anything unless you understand all the steps outlined below.

This is just the driver, it will only work fine with your existing v1.300 installs. The reason we are giving out this driver for now is to ensure that it fixes most people's issues before the full public release. The public release might take a week or two since we are adding "checksums" and various other interface and feature tweaks.

STEPS TO INSTALL
    1) Make sure you have Process Guard v1.300 installed
    2) Load Process Guard and Disable All Protection (in the protection menu) .
    3) Close Process Guard.
    4) Unzip the procguard.sys file contained in the ZIP file to your DRIVERS directory which is under your SYSTEM32 directory, which is under your WINDOWS directory (usually c:\windows\system32\drivers\ ). Windows will ask you whether you want to overwrite the existing file, answer yes. If you do not get an OVERWRITE prompt, you are in the wrong directory.
    5) Reboot.
    6) You are now on the new driver. Make sure you enable protection again.

If you do not understand ANY of the above steps I suggest you do not try this beta.

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/procguard.zip

-Jason-

2. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Beta driver is installed.

Closed Message Handling does not work on PortExplorer. I also saw random problems with this on PG 1.3 version driver. Sometimes Closed Message Handling worked...sometimes it didn't.

Oops...went in and reset CMH and then set it back...now it works.

Oops AGAIN.... Rebooting computer caused CMH to stop working again on Portexplorer.

3. spm

spm Registered Member

Installed beta driver. "Could not open kernel mode driver" error still occurs on system startup. :(

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Word of caution. If you are running any software that monitors programs that run, like Abtrusion Protector, you will have to re-allow the driver file. Happened to me the first time I dropped this driver into the proper place. Sure enough resulted in the driver load error message. Once I allowed the driver in AP, problems gone.

5. Jason_DiamondCS

This driver does not affect 'Cannot Attach Error' , thats an EXE issue that is fixed (for sure) in the next release. Close Message Handling isn't handled by the driver, rather by PG_MSGPROT.EXE. This is just a driver release to fix stability.

-Jason-

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Jason

What I was refering to was, that with AP monitoring it detected that the driver was different, and blocked it so it couldn't start, and that did result in the could not attach error. Once the driver was allowed in AP all was fine.

I just wanted to remind people that if they are running AP or something similiar and they swap out the driver, they need to allow the new driver.

Pete

7. donsan

donsan Registered Member

:)Just a quick question,I have had no trouble at all with process guard and i run on windows xp do i need to upgrade to this driver or leave well enough alone till 1.320 comes out.I don't have close msg handling set up any programs could this be why i don't have any problems with PG.

8. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

donsan, this is beta testing - in case you don't feel like doing so, just stick to actual version installed and wait for the next final release ;)

regards.

paul

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Installed it with no problem."Disabled All Protection" in PG and "Exit"'ed it. Haven't yet re-installed WinZip, so when I clicked on the exe, all it did was display the contents of the Desktop "procguard.zip".

Took the "procguard.sys" file (which is all that's in there), right-clicked that and selected "Copy" from the context menu, then navigated to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers", right-clicked a blank area in there and clicked on "Paste" in the context menu. Got and okayed the "replace" message, re-started the computer, turned PG protection back on. (All that was for the benefit of people who don't have WinZip or the like).

Anyway, is this going to fix the problem where PG's icon doesn't show up in the SYSTRAY at times at start-up?

Also, is it normal - after you have clicked on "Disable All Protection" - that when you then click on "Exit" in the PG SYSTRAY icon context menu, that it exits without the H.I.D. popping up to confirm? Seems like that's logical - just checking. Pete

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Pete, I am sure you meant system32\drivers ;)

Also after disabling protection I alwaye stop pg_msgprot with TasK Manager before putting the procguard.sys file in the system32\drivers folder & rebooting and hopefully all will be well.

Yes, If you have procguard.exe CMH enabled you will have an HID before protection can be turned off - Once off you can exit as normal :)

11. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Absolutely right (I fixed my mistake - thanks!).

I thought about doing that, too - but that nasty, frightening message about the possibility of "system instability/unexpected behavior" from M$ skeered me off! :eek: Seems to have gone well without having shut down pg_msgprot via TM here. (If shutting down pg_msgprot with TM really won't cause my monitor to explode, peeling my face off with flying glass and electrocuting me with the wires that fly out, I might give that a try next time).

Thank you, sir. Pete

12. donsan

donsan Registered Member

Thank you for the quick response paul i do think i will just wait for the new program.

13. Joop

Joop Registered Member

Finaly PG1.3 with the public beta works fine here.
    No blue screens anymore, even have all protections enabled :)
    P4 3 Ghz Hypertreading here.
    Of course I didn't check all progs yet but during this week I will
    see, anyway the ones which gave me the bsod are working.

14. Rodehard

Rodehard Registered Member

Seems to have fixed my problems. Thanks gentleman, good work. :)

15. reneighd

reneighd Registered Member

Seems to have fixed my problem too and running stable, now i can enable " block global hooks " :) . thanks and good job.

regards,
    reneighd

16. Jason_DiamondCS

Great to hear guys! Thanks for testing. :cool:

-Jason-

17. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

Working fine on P4 XP pro.

18. donsan

donsan Registered Member

well i went ahead and downloaded and installed the new driver and all is working well with pg.Thanks a bunch

19. grey_ghost

grey_ghost Registered Member

Hi

Working good.

I had to reassign priviliges in the options, allow flags etc.

regards

20. tech-addict

tech-addict Registered Member

Just wondering what the status is on the above mentioned "EXE fix" for the attatch error ?
    Thanks
    ;)

21. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Protek, It's sorted in the latest betas:) Much work has been done as I write and the next release will be a major improvement in many ways ;)

22. tech-addict

tech-addict Registered Member

Good to hear :D I'm waiting to test the next release before I wipe & reformat this laptop so I can be sure of a clean / safe system.
    Thanks again.
    ;)

23. Terravita

Terravita Registered Member

I believe 1.1 was the last stable version of Process Guard on my computer. Since then, I have experienced a slightly unstable system, all the way to not being able to complete Windows startup. I decided to try 1.3 and the public beta of the driver. Again, when I installed 1.3, I was not able to complete Windows startup, but I was able to install the public beta driver under safe mode.

I have had a STABLE SYSTEM for four days!

Thanks for fixing Process Guard. I think it is a valuable piece of technology and a must for all PC’s.

Config:
    AMD Dual MP 1800+
    XP Professional SP 1
    TDS-3
    Port Explorer
    WormGuard
    PC-Cillin 2003
    Ad-Aware Pro 6
    Ad-Watch 3
    BOClean
    Etc.

24. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Well, I finally got around to installing PG 1.300 with the beta driver. It seems to have solved my primary issue--surprise reboots. Now, when I block Paint Shop Pro from obtaining a global hook (as a test only, since there is no reason to block it for real), I don't get a spontaneous reboot, but rather a polite message from Paint Shop Pro that says "Windows refused to install the requested system-level hook function, this capture mode can not currently be used." (And speaking of that message from Paint Shop Pro, isn't it nice? That's one sign of good software; error handling for even such an obscure problem. Sure, they can't spell "cannot", but hey, no one's perfect.)

25. Jason_DiamondCS

Yeah I also like Paint Shop Pro and have also noticed it uses hooks. Glad to hear one of your problems is gone. :)

-Jason-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.