Process Guard Competitors?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ISSB, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ISSB

ISSB Registered Member

Hi,

What are the top competitors for the Process Guard?

Thank you!

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

SSM
    Ghost Security suite

3. Astronomy

Astronomy Registered Member

I recommend prevx,it's better for beginner

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

antihook would be another competitor but i dont know how development is going if at all.

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

There is a private beta out of version 3 which will have a limited free version and a paid full version.

Cheers

Alphalutra1

6. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hm....How about OnlineArmor and Safe'n'Sec? Haven't used Safe'n'Sec before, but I have gone through the user manual. It seems the coverage of Safe'n'Sec is quite good, although the activation method is not quite good.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Is SnoopFree the same kind of application?
    Jerry

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I used SnS for an extended time. It's a decent application. If you take a look at the system calls hooked, they missed a couple of minor ones that really could have been filtered. Not critical ones mind you.

It was generally quite stable in use. The only operational issue I really ran into, and it was a very infrequent one, was when SnS lost seemingly lost track of the active session console and issued an alert to an inactive session/window, at that point the system effectively locked. There were a very limited number of instances that caused this. It might be resolved at this point.

I like quiet in these types of applications and have been running Prevx for a bit. It is very quiet and seems quite effective. OA is as well. I'd recommend looking at both if you're looking in this direction.

As with many applications families, there are a number of competing choices that offer similar overall performance. Selection is often driven by secondary factors (flexibility, need to self-configure, alert frequency, basic approach, compatibility with other apps)...., in other words, run the trials and make your choices based on the outcome of that experience.

Blue

9. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Neoava Guard. I saw a part of the features of the new Beta Debug version which is coming up this month i think. Very Powerfull.

10. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Thanks for the information about SnS!!! :)

11. WSFuser

snoopfree is only for catching keyloggers. nothing less nothing more.

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks.
    Jerry

13. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

PrevX1 is cool.

14. BuckSnort_

BuckSnort_ Registered Member

I use Online Armor due to its performance and outstanding support, but what works great on one machine might not do the same on yours.

15. ISSB

ISSB Registered Member

Thanks for the replies,

I tried SnS but it was freezing my PC and for me it is quite offensive asking too many questions.

Do you think there are some standard features we all should expect from this kind of software? As far as I can see all this tools can be taken as sandboxes, right?

16. WSFuser

PG and it competitors are not of the sandbox type HIPS.

sandboxes would includes programs like defencewall, geswall, sandboxie, and bufferzone.

17. FearHQ

FearHQ Registered Member

I had written a small security program to perform some similar actions to ProcessGuard and RegDefend and it runs perfectly on Win2k, however on WinXP something keeps trying to terminate any process once it reaches the hook. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Not sure where to ask this kind of question

18. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

This is a security forum so I doubt you will find that advanced kernel level programming advice here.
    And even if programmers of some of the products yours will compete with could answer your question, why would they?
    Maybe try some kernel programming forums, or MSDN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.