Process Guard and System Safety Monitor

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by WilliamP, Dec 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have PG ,TDS3, NOD32 , Spybot, Norton Firewall and Ad Aware. Would SSM add any protection to my XP system?

2. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

You can't compare PG with SSM. For example SSM can monitor registry changes execution of unknown applications etc. So yes SSM would add any protection to your system.
    Dolf

3. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

short answer is yes.

gkweb has done a fine write-up of security Aps from his extensive work on leaktests here:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jugesoftware/firewallleaktester/eng/pageweb/software.html

read the distinction between sandboxing/Ap protection and process monitoring/protection...

also ck here for real example of the difference - process terminator called firewar & redwolfe's results:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=17621

bottom line both are good security aps to have... they perform different roles theoretically. :cool:

I only have experience with SSM since my OS is not compatable with PG's system requirements ;)

... with SSM I feel I am just as protected. Theoretically any Ap or program which would attempt to shut down my defenses would be stopped by SSM.

real good test for you is to dl GRC leaktest here , rename leaktest.exe to the same name as your firewall.exe and see if it gets out, if it does install SSM.

4. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Thank you for the help.

5. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

@peakaboo
    theorically yes, but the example i always give is that you can allow mistakenly to launch/run something you think it's a screensaver or a game, but infact is a trojan wich will try to terminate your security process, so it's always good to have a multi layered protection :)

6. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

that's where the grey matter between the ears should kick in...

common sense not to trust aps from untrusted sources and scanning with a great AV also helps

nice work on that site of yours gk... karma good ;)

7. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

thanks you :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.