Process Guard and multiple user accounts

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by George75, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George75

George75 Guest

I just downloaded free Process Guard and installed it under my admin account. It went through its learning cycle and on that admin account, and on another backup admin account, it seems to be working. However, when I log on to my user account (restricted privileges), there is no indication that Process Guard is doing anything (Task manager does however show pgaccount.exe for the user account), and if I go to Start>Programs>Process Guard>Run Process Guard and tap it I then see a blue padlock in the systems tray; I get a splash screen which tells me that Process Guard is initializing, and then after some time, when I go back to the splash screen, I'm told: 'Error in initialisation. Check dcsuserprot.exe.' This is under XP/SP2. What should I do? Thanks very much.

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

3. George75

George75 Guest

Thanks for the links. I think this explains it: 'The GUI only needs to run in one account, pgaccount.exe runs in every account to handle things like execution protection.' Later, someone explains that balloons will pop up even on a user account (restricted privileges) if something happens under that account that Process Guard doesn't like.
    The next question is this. In the learning cycle with my fiddling, Process Guard came up with 'stats' that say it blocked three attacks. I didn't get any balloons for any of the attacks. I find this hard to believe. Moreover, I really can't find any clear explanation of these attacks. I went to the log, and I think I saw some notes that a system process was prevented from terminating. But if these are the three attacks, then Process Guard has a problem: the security logs are mysterious; the attacks are not clearly documented.
    Hence, the help file should perhaps contain (under FAQ?) some explanation of multiple user accounts; and the security logs for attacks should be more perspicuous. After all, if someone or something is trying to compromise my system, I have to have a clear idea of what it's all about. As for how good Process Guard is, I don't know: it's been working for less than 24 hours.

4. cosmicvoid

cosmicvoid Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.