Process Guard and LEGACY registry keys

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by stalker, Jun 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Hey ...

I become to some "problem" few times now with my registry "cleaning" application after registry scans, wgich I process always after removing some "huge" and deeply integrated program (the app is one very powerful, called Registry First Aid, from KsL Software and Published by RoseCitySoftware, which doesn't "clean" automaticly, but just finds invalid/orphaned entries, and scans disk for possible solutions)

It offers this options after scan:

"Fix entry" (to the value that you choose manually)
    "Leave entry without change"
    "Delete entry"
    "Cut Invalid Substring" (for more complicated values)

It is that many times after I uninstalled some software (refering here to programs that install/use drivers), rebooted, and all, and after that, scanning registry with Reg First Aid for that program's "left-overs", I always find some entries related to that program, for which Reg First Aid don't give permission to modify (cause this particular key is under default "Excluded" keys)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\

For example, if I am sure I already uninstalled Process Guard Free, can I delete them manually with Regedit, if Reg First Aid doesn't allow ??
    Note that mentioned key, and its sub-keys sure still contain various Process Guard related values and sub-keys.

The actuall Process Guard related entries are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_PROCGUARD
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_PROCGUARD\0000
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_PROCGUARD\0000\LogConf

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_PGMSGPROT
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_PGMSGPROT\0000

The question again is - are they really "left-overs" (therefore clever to them manually with Regedit), or they are needed by Windows for some reason (even if that software is completely uninstalled), and there is better to NOT delete them ??

Thanks

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Stalker, You can delete them, they are leftovers.

To delete manually you need to highlight each entry and right click to open the properties box - Then change the permissions to "Allow delete" - Then delete

HTH Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.