Process Guard 3 final beta installation anomaly

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Devinco, Oct 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I think PG3 final Beta is GREAT!!!

It appears to be working well now, but something strange happened at first reboot after install.

I had PG2 installed first. I uninstalled in safe mode and removed pguard.dat and pghash.dat as suggested and rebooted. I exited all running security programs.
    I then installed PG3 beta 2 and rebooted as it asked.
    It went to winlogon and I logged on but I only got the solid desktop background with no icons and no taskbar. My desktop is normally a solid color and the mouse pointer was active, but I could not bring up task manager. I had to hard reset. Then it booted up normally and I saw the PG tips window. Was there supposed to be a special Wizard window? If there was, it didn't appear. Also all four general protection options were not activated. Is this normal for a default install? Should I uninstall and try again?

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Everything is normal except for that blank screen when logging on. Have you ever experienced that before?

3. Devinco

Hi Jason,

Yes, it only seemed to happen once directly after installation. After logon (Windows XP Pro SP2), blank solid color background (my normal desktop with no theme) but no desktop icons or task bar. Mouse pointer was active, but no task manager access, and I had to reset. I haven't been testing it very long, but after a second reboot, it appears to be working normally.

After reboot the first time, is there supposed to be a special Wizard?
    It had learning mode on, but none of the 4 general protection options were on.

4. Jason_DiamondCS

No there is no wizard, just the quicktips. None of the global protection options are enabled by default (user selects these after first reboot then on next reboot the learning mode catches whatever changes they made).

5. Devinco

Thanks Jason.

Maybe it was just a one time happening.
    It is just a minor issue having to hard reset after initial install and it is probably just on my machine, but I thought I should report it nevertheless.
    If it occurs with others, then perhaps they can post here and it can be investigated further.

Thanks again for making Process Guard! :)

6. Jason_DiamondCS

No it actually might be the same problem Luke mentioned that I have fixed in the next build, so hopefully you won't experience it in the final version. :)

7. Devinco

Great! I'm looking forward to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.