process explorer discription coloum remote access dialer

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by lodore, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    I was just looking at process explorer as i opened some programs.
    I got scared when a process started that in the discription said "remote access dialer" and in the company name colomn it said microsoft. it came and went so fast i couldnt read the process name but it started with an R
    I think its called rasautou.exe
    sometimes when going on websites it appears in process explorer for like 1 second then goes. it also sometimes makes the mouse lagg.
    it only seems to have come up since i set up the tcp/ip for the connection to static.
    any ideas on how to stop windows from using that file from being used?
    i dont know why it is using it and im a bit concerend.
    thanks in advance
    lodore

2. Nubiatech

Nubiatech Registered Member

That is a legit process, it is called Remote Access blah blah.
    What it does is (mainly) redial the modem if you get disconnected. So if you're using dial up modem, just leave it alone. Otherwise, change IE settings: Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> "Never dial a connection"

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    i have no dial up connections which means the never dial a connection box is greyed out. i use an ethernet connection to my router.
    i find it odd that that process keeps starting and stopping after around 2 seconds for no reason. if i start opera and have process explorer set at always on top then at a certain point of opera loading pages suddenly that process starts.
    the attached screenshot was the best printscreen i could do as it went so fast.
    plus for some reason the process name of the one i wanted to show is partly blurred.
    since ive changed it back to using DHCP the problem doesnt happern no more at least so far.
    lodore

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello lodore,

You appear to be looking at the "Remote Access Auto Connection Manager" (Rasauto). This is not directly only for dialup, but used for various reasons (possible for DSL/Cable).

I will look at this in more depth tomorrow when I re-store XP. But, would say, do not worry about this at this time.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hi Stem,
    thanks for the reply.
    i will look at this thread again once you have looked in to it a bit more.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.