Procedure for replacing a HDD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Colvin, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colvin

Colvin Registered Member

Using TI 9.x . . . Could someone provide the procedure for replacing an existing HDD? I've read through the Help file but I'm still not 100% sure how this is to be done. This is what I plan on doing:
    1. Replace an existing HDD on machine #1 with a new HDD, thus I need to tranfer all the existing data, etc., to the new one.
    2. Remove the old HDD from machine #1 to be used on machine #2
    3. Replace the existing HDD on machine #2 with the old HDD from machine #1 and transfer the contents of the old HDD to the replacement HDD.

THANKS!

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Create the bootable TI Rescue CD, boot from it on #1 and use the Clone feature. DO NOT opt to erase the data from the original drive until you are sure the Cloned drive works.

Repeat for machine 2.

3. Colvin

Colvin Registered Member

Chutsman,

Thanks for the speedy reply. It all sounds too simple, really. hehe So, can I assume that when the old HDD from machine #1 is removed and then installed and cloned on machine #2, that the data on this replacement HDD will be overwritten with the data from the current HDD on machine #2; much the same as what happens when you restore an image?

The new HDD to be installed and cloned on machine #1 is brand new out of the box. Will I have to format it (e.g. to NTFS) or will that be done during the cloning process?

Can I then erase the data on the old drive after it is cloned to the new drive?

I would also like to completely remove the old/original HDD on machine #2 and have it ready to be used if necessary on another machine, i.e., empty but formatted with NTFS so that an O/S could be installed or used for data storage.

4. Chutsman

Make sure you complete what you want to do with #1 before erasing its original drive. Before you can Clone the new drive, you have to prepare it. When you boot with the TI bootable CD there is a menu item for "preparing a new drive" or words to that effect. This will partition and format it.

Now here's a headsup for an unusual feature ... after you "prepare" the new drive and start the Cloning process, TI will see that the new drive has a partition which it will need to delete before it will let you continue with the Cloning process. So do that and continue the cloning.

But again, I must stress that you check that the resulting cloned drive will boot. Do NOT ERASE your old drive before you actually TEST the clone, even if you get the "successfully cloned" message at the end of the process.

Another caveat: when the clone process is complete, shut off the computer, remove (or disconnect) the original drive and then test the clone.

5. Colvin

Colvin Registered Member

Chutsman,

Thanks for the great advice on going through the "Clone" process, etc. :cool: And it does seem unusual to be sure that you must first "prepare" (format, partition, if desired, etc.) the new drive and then have to delete what you just prepared? But, I will do as you wrote and trust that things will work out perfectly.

6. x=y+z

x=y+z Registered Member

I have successfully done cloning using TI8 and TI9 without preparing brand new destination drives (i.e. they have never been used and there are no partitions). Also the User Manual does not state any required preparation of a destination drive before cloning. However if the destination drive has already had partition(s), they will be deleted during cloning.

7. Chutsman

Good to know ... I stand corrected. Seems like the last time I had a brand new unformatted drive (early last year) I had to use the "Prepare" feature. But I'm glad to know that that is no longer necessary.

8. hexmaniac

hexmaniac Registered Member

I have also cloned drives 'straight out of the box' with no additional prep. I find it is best to boot to the rescue disk and perform the clone operation and never boot into windows with 'both' drives connected. HTH.

Ron

9. Colvin

Colvin Registered Member

Re: Procedure for replacing a HDD? Feedback

I just wanted to report back and let you all know how I made out. I was able to successfully clone both HDDs with confidence due to the great advice offered by those in this thread. It was almost too simple. Another feather in the cap for Acronis, IMHO, for offering such a marvelous product.

Thanks again to all!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.