Problems!!!!!

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Jim Verard, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Verard

Jim Verard Registered Member

Is it just here or it's impossible to stay more than 1 minute logged on this board? I am using Torpark browser, accepting cookies from sites until I close my browser. Everything is normal on other sites, just here I am experiencing problems. Any sugestions?

2. pligg

pligg Registered Member

Well, I have been here longer than one minute and I am still logged in. Looks like a problem with your browser.

3. Jim Verard

I think I solve this problem by checking the box "Remember my login/password". Even if your cookies are not being stored on my hard disk, I need to check this box while I am logged.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Ah, that makes sense. Login issues are always cookie related in some regard, and since you said you were allowing cookies, it didn't make sense that you'd timeout anyway. As it turns out, the "Remember Me?" option is what makes vBulletin save the login credentials in cookie values. Without that option being checked, a simple session timeout results in a member being logged out.

5. Jim Verard

Yeah, that's my point. Since my browser is not allowing eternal cookies to be saved on my hard drive, this doesn't make any sense.

All cookies stored temporarily should be able to maintain your account logged on every board out there. Perhaps vbulettin and other boards are rejecting my browser because TOR network is changing IPs constantly while you're online (this maybe the reason behind this).

Every boards allow you to be logged at least for 60 minutes, you may set the time (or not). If I am not checking the worthless box "Remember my login/password", I can't stay logged more than 2 minutes here.

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes, but only if you are storing all the necessary cookie values. Checking the "Remember Me?" box causes vBulletin to store two extra cookie values not otherwise saved: bbuserid & bbpassword. Without those, anything that invalidates your session will cause you to be logged out.

IP address is part of the sessionhash, so a rapidly changing IP address will invalidate your session and leave you logged out "if" bbuserid & bbpassword are not available to establish a new authenticated session when the address change occurs.

If you choose to uncheck the "Remember Me?" box, (which is checked by default), and if your proxy service is rapidly changing your IP address, then you will suffer those rapid logouts. There's nothing we can do about it. It's the session mgmt design in vBulletin.

Actually, that's not true. The default session timeout for vBulletin is 15 minutes. Some forums change it to a larger value, but most don't. (The longer the session timeout, the larger the overhead for maintaining member sessions.) In any case, even if we increased the timeout, it wouldn't help you. If you don't allow Remember Me? to be set, the first change of IP address will invalidate your session regardless of the timeout, as is seen by the fact that session timeout is 15 minutes yet you are getting logged out every two minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.