Problems with Windows Updates?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by gwliberty, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gwliberty

gwliberty Registered Member

Hi All,

Has anyone had problems with Microsoft Windows Updates since installing Spyware Blaster?

I tried to update my Windows XP to sp1 and after I thought I had it installed (it is listed in my control panel as as an installed program) trying more times than I can count, reading almost everything in MS Knowledge base, Windows Update informs me that Active-X controls are required for Windows Updates but they are missing from my installation; the installation is "hanging" and I need to download the Active-X files from MS.

In checking the event logs, it does indeed say that the installation is "hanging." I haven't been getting automatic updates either. IE takes me to the Windows Update at the time I have scheduled the updates to run and tells me to install sp1!

Now sp2 is out and I can't get past sp1...

I have both Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster installed and thought perhaps they are preventing the correct installation, since they don't allow Active-X controls.

Is there a workaround I'm not aware of?

I would appreciate any feedback on this, it's way beyond frustrating. o_O

Thank you

GW

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

SpywareBlaster should not effect Windows Update. This problem could be approached in a lot of different ways, so there are a lot of different things to try...

The first thing to try would be to simply disable all of SpywareBlaster protections via it's interface, using the link to "Disable All Protection" under the Quick Tasks section (lower part of main screen).

Then try adding *.microsoft.com into the IE Trusted Sites list so that Windows Update will run under the security set for IE's Trusted zone rather than the Internet zone. Make sure the Trusted Zone security is set to its default level, not custom.

Another thing would be to set the ActiveX settings to "Prompt" in the Internet Zone, just in case somehow you still end up drawing security from there instead of the Trusted zone. (IE > Tools menu > Internet Options... > Security tab > select the Internet site symbol > Custom level... > set ActiveX items to Prompt.) I'm not sure as I haven't tested recently, but for a time Microsoft started using akamai servers to host some updates, therefore not all updates were coming from just microsoft.com any longer.

Each of these steps is trying to accomplish the same thing - that being to ensure that Windows Update is allowed to run whatever ActiveX it needs to in order to allow updates to happen.

There are unfortunately many other things that could be involved here, but it is highly unlikely either Spybot or SpywareBlaster is the cause of the problem. They don't actually remove ActiveX from a system or in any way permanently disable or prevent it from ever working again. Still, disabling the protections from these tools and then systematically verifying that whatever Windows Update needs is enabled, is the best troubleshooting method.

3. gwliberty

LowWaterMark,

Thank you for your suggestions. I tried all and have tried to install sp2 again and again....Automatic updates continually insists that I install but I can't. I am now getting "product key may be invalid", contact piracy@Microsoft messages upon attempted installation. Having tried all fixes in MS Knowledge base and read Microsoft's "How to tell" have come to the conclusion that I must have had a pirated copy installed on my new PC. Guess I should have known that when I asked the [creep!] for the XP CD, he brought me a copied CD; no manual and no COA label. Of course, being totally new to the Net at that time, I had no idea about those things. (and he knew it)! Have not been able to reach him and was told by a mutual acquaintance that he has left the state. Small wonder. Tough lesson for me.

Question: If I purchase a valid Windows XP, will I be able to reinstall it on my PC without doing a clean install? Is it possible to install a different operating system and/or any other suggestions?

I need to do something VERY soon, with these security holes in MS - which brings me to another situation....I picked up a couple of Download.Trojan viruses in cache and temporary internet files the other day and thankfully was alerted by NAV. How is this possible with Spyware Blaster and Spybot S&D installed with all protection enabled? Is it a correct assumption that the Blaster and Spybot would have prevented them from being run? I check for updates daily, before I go anywhere on the Web. I'm confused and would appreciate any feedback from those of you *so-much-more knowledgeable* than me! ;)

Thanks much,

GW

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi,

Don't worry too much about SP1 -- if you do get to the point where you can successfully download and install SP2, that'll also include any or all of SP1, plus any critical upgrades, that you don't already have. Much bigger download, of course (about 265 megs, as against around 75 or 85 if you're right up to date), but at least you'll be back "on track".

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi GW. :)

First, adding to Mike's post. MS is going to allow installation of SP2 on any/all pirated/cracked versions of XP, as they feel it's in the general best interests of security as a whole. So getting SP2 should not be a problem.

Now, as to your question of whether SpywareBlaster/Spybot should have stopped trojans, that is not their role. SWB is a preventitive measure against ActiveX/Cookies dl's as in browser hijacking, malware, spyware, etc. Spybot is a scanner for the same things, and it does have a Real Time Monitoring program in it called Tea Timer which helps prevent things getting in.

SpywareBlaster is a "passive" program in that it's a set and forget. Apart from updating, say weekly. It sets killbits into the registry.

Trojans belong to the domain of Anti-Trojan and some Anti-Virus programs, and even now, a lot of AV's are starting to add defs for trojans/malware like Kaspersky Anti-Virus is.

The fact that NAV detected your trojans in cache/TIFS is good. :)

Hope this helps clear things up a bit, anything you don't understand, just post back and someone will try to explain more. ;)

Cheers, TAS

PS: SP2 can also be ordered on CD of you cannot get WU to dl it.
    FREE, and it is taking very short time to get it delievered, some reporting in 5 days. I am in Australia, got mine from here and only took around 8 days.

MS SP2 DISC ORDER

:)

6. gwliberty

Wow, you guys are great! I didn't expect a reply so soon - Thank you so much Tassie_Devils and Mike!! I can't believe as many times as I've been at the MS site I didn't know about the sp2 CD. Thanks to your posting the link, I have ordered it. That's alot of megs! :eek:
    And how kind of Microsoft....especially since they've been ripped off so much (like some others) :oops:

I'm going to have to read up on the Tea Timer. Seems I read somewhere that it stopped some vital program or something like that so I decided not to use it. I don't even remember where I read it.

I was not aware that Trojans "belong" to the domain of Anti-Trojan and some Anti-Virus programs though I guess I should have realized. I've learned so much today thanks to both of you being here and filling in the blank spaces with your expertise!

BTW, I love Spyware Blaster and Spybot S&D. and my PC is grateful. I REALLY REALLY enjoy whacking those adware files. :D and I really enjoy this forum.

GW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.