Problems with uTorrent and ESS Firewall

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by M4c, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M4c

M4c Registered Member

Hi
    After I installed ESS, running uTorrent will make my entire network connection to stop functioning. I can't go to any internet sites, can't download email etc. The only way I have found to restore the connection is to quit uTorrent. Is this a known bug?

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I can't find the option too to give uTorrent a port in ESS...

3. ogy

ogy Registered Member

Set Utorrent(downloads) to low priority or increase your connection limit.

No problems here with Utorrent and ESS

4. M4c

M4c Registered Member

Is there a way to temporarly dissable the firewall to test if it is ESS who are to blame?

5. germike

germike Registered Member

I have exactly the same problem, utorrent + ESS will stop all my other internet traffic. Even with the ESS firewall switched off. It has nothing to do with utorrent settings in utorrent itself, because as soon as i uninstall ESS, everything is well again.

This together with email problems with picasa made me decide to forget about ESS and go back to avast.

A pity because i do like the rest of ESS.

6. Xophile

Xophile Registered Member

Severe problems with uTorrent and ESS Firewall?

I have the very same issue here!

When running utorrent.exe and downloading my Firefox browsing experience is *extremely* slower.

I have a 100/100 connection and even if utorrent is running at 25kb/s I still get severe slowdows with ESS.

Any ideas?

Marcos?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello

I agree. You can limit you global download rate in uTorrent as well.
    The speed of download itself will not affect browsing so much as the number of actually established (and half opened) connections. Check the number of your allowed half-opened connections in the TCP/IP stack. Also, try downloading and browsing with the same torrent (so the trackers are the same) when ESS is on & off. This will rule out bad trackers.

8. Xophile

Why should I increase the connection limit when I'm on a 100/100 connection and downloading at 25kb/s still slows down my browsing. It's not bandwidth that's the problem here as far as I can tell.

9. Xophile

10. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Because a peer/seed you're downloading from is not. You need more peers/seeds/connections.

Yes, that's the one. There's a well known fix for that. Try it, it won't hurt. Don't forget your backup, just in case, but Lvllord never gave me headaches.

11. curiousmicrobe

curiousmicrobe Registered Member

So I have uTorrent and ESS 3.0.621.0. No problems at all. uTorrent speeds are just as good as before (when I used AVG).

12. Xophile

curiousmicrobe

This is not about utorrent speeds. It's about the browsing speed slowing down when running utorrent at the same time

13. Xophile

Installed the Lvllord fix and everythings seems better now!

14. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello Xophile.

I'm glad it helped. How is your event log now? Any more entries on TCP/IP stack?

15. Xophile

Seer:

I tried downloading a big file yesterday (1,2gb patch for Company Of Heroes) and then nothing showed up in the Event Log. I read on the utorrent forums and as far as I could tell there were more users with the same problem. I'll look into it some more and post back!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  16. curiousmicrobe

curiousmicrobe Registered Member

Browsing speed is affected on my PC but only because uTorrent is using 90% + of my available bandwidth. However when I set uTorrent to only use a specific amount of bandwidth for downloading, say 50%. I have not problems with the speed of browsing.

If you are having problems with the speed of browsing while running uTorrent, it's likely that it's uTorrent's settings or you router not being able to cope well with the number of connections. I doubt it's an ESS fault.

17. Xophile

curiousmicrobe:

As I wrote before I got *extreme* slowdowns with browsing when running utorrent even if utorrent only was using like 25kb/s. And this is on a 100/100Mbps connection so there really is no bottleneck there.

Even a shutdown on utorrent didn't help, I had to reboot and then everything was fine.

I an mot running any router at all, I'm plugged directly into the wall.

It might have been EventID 4226 that caused it but I have never had any problems before when I was running Outpost Firewall on the same system and XP installation.

18. wrathchild

wrathchild Registered Member

Not always but it is obviously that ESS don't close properly ports which uTorrent used even after closing of uTorrent. Because of that you're forced to reboot!
    Look at ESS firewall connections window after closing uTorrent...probably there will still be uTorrent "active".

19. Xophile

Seems to be working better with the latest .642 release.

But I can't figure out if it's the Lvllord patch or if it's the latest version that fixed the problem.

Should I set ESS not to scan the data coming through utorrent.exe maybe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.