Problems with TI10.0 (Build 4942) archive under Vista

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by drgenius, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drgenius

drgenius Registered Member

Hi everybody,

i created several password-protected backup images of my hard disk drives (normal compression) with Acronis TI 10.0. (Build 4942). The backup process was successful in all cases and the backup files were saved on an external USD HDD (Western Digital, 500 GB).
    When I now try to open one of the folders (using the Windows Vista Explorer) where a .tib file is in I'm immediately asked for the password of the backup file. However, I didn't want to open the .tib file itself, just the folder. Entering the password opens the .tib file. But then, after one or a few clicks the Windows Explorer crashes and restarts again. Sometimes I also got an error popup even though I cancelled the password popup (see attachment, it's unfortunately in German). It seems that Windows Vista Explorer always tries to open the .tib file even though only its surrounding folder was opened. On another PC running XP SP 2 everything works fine.

Have you already observed something similar? Is there a solution for this problem available?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
    drgenius

P.S.: By the way, how long does it normally take to create a full image of a 160 GB HDD, containing two partitions with approx. 45 GB data in total, using normal compression? On my Win XP machine it took more than 4 hours. To me it seems TI 10.0 is very slow but I have no real experience. Moreover, the resulting backup file was approx. 40 GB and almost as large as the source. I though TI 10.0 would compress to around 65%.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello drgenius,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that we have already received similar requests from other Acronis customers. Moreover, the fix for this issue was created and will be included into one of the future build of the appropriate version of Acronis True Image.

Please note that the estimated time and image archive size are quite approximate, as different types of data allow different levels of compression and require different amounts of time to be compressed. You can check this thread for details.

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Fedyulin

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

If the files are audio or video or picture files, these files are already compressed and no additional compression can be expected. Normal image size is about 60% of original.

When including an attachment, you will get better responses if you edit the screen capture and crop out all the un-necessary. In this situation, only the error message window was needed. Attachment was so large, viewing the error message was not possible.

If you need "how to" info, check the links below or the link included in my signature.

FAQ: Screen Shots and Image Posting
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=356726#post356726

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=171914#7

4. drgenius

drgenius Registered Member

Thank you all for your quick reply.
    I have almost no picture or video files on my 160 GB HDD so I'm still wondering why the compression rate is so low.
    I know that I should better have edited the attachment and I know how to do this under Windows XP but I'm quite new to Vista and still have to improve using it.

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

I am experiencing similar problems with windows explorer when doing a file search. It keeps asking for password (multiple times) and when either supplied or canceled, it keeps asking. Finally, Windows Explorer will close with an error.

I have not had time to try, but I plan on
    checking 'windows updates (which I think was the cause)
    also un-installing/reinstalling ATI

Am currently using an alternate Windows Explorer (Ultra Explorer) to get around the issue. Also using "Locate" to perform searches until I get the problem resolved.

You may want to reduce the amount of space used by your System Restore Point. This may help your compression problem. I usually do some cleanup before doing a backup.

Backup time will vary. Backups created via the Restore CD take longer than within Windows. Backups also take longer if computer is performing additional tasks. My backup takes about 25G of space and it takes about 2 hrs within Windows--including validation. Backup times will vary within computers--based on hardware configurations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.