Problems with Sygate

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cmfairbank, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmfairbank

cmfairbank Registered Member

Hello, I'm a newbie here who is having problems just after installing the Sygate (free) firewall. I'd be pestering the Sygate forum, but my recent activation there isn't letting me post yet.

I downloaded the latest, installed it (with everything, including AVG Free shut off) and all seemed to go well. Then it rebooted and no sooner does Sygate fire up, I get the dreaded "X needs to close ... Send Error Report/Don't Send" window (where X is Sygate Agent Firewall). While this message awaits my response the firewall software is actually running behind it (graphs and stuff clicking along...). Of course, as soon as I click Don't Send, it's gone.

Any attempt to fire up Sygate manually has the same result.

I'm running XP Home, SP2; AVG Free, Firefox, and Thunderbird (though the latter two may not have been installed the first time this happened) and recently gave my Windows Registry an enema ( ;) via Registry Healer), which fixed many many orphan entries that were slowing things down.

I appreciate whatever help I can get, including any alternative recommendations for a trustworthy, effective, low maintenance (and yes, free) firewall.
    Thanks,
    cmfairbank

2. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello cmfairbank,

If this is v5.6 - it creates this sort of problem for some - once you have access to the forum, look for threads on problems with this version. v5.6 is recent, 2 months out I think.

You can download v5.5 build 2710 from here: http://207.33.111.31/spf/

Regards - Charles

3. cmfairbank

cmfairbank Registered Member

Thanks Charles,
    I mosied around in there for a little while and found a clue. Caught a remark about disabled network devices, which Sygate might not like . . .

Turns out I had disabled my Local Area Connection port on this thing to get rid of the Xed-out icon on the taskbar. Re-enabled it and Sygate now runs fine. Hooh-rah!! I guess I can live with that little X for a working firewall. :p

Thanks for the advice. Hope this helps someone with similar problems.
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.