Problems with Sygate PFP.. Jetico sounds/seems to be better.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Porshe, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porshe

Porshe Registered Member

Hello. I have sygate personal firewall pro 5.6 build 3408 installed to my computer and i runned gibsons shields up test and i got this text from there:
    ''Greetings!

Without your knowledge or explicit permission, the Windows networking technology which connects your computer to the Internet may be offering some or all of your computer's data to the entire world at this very moment!
    ''

Then i decided to change my firewall to jetico if i can't figure out what settings are wrong in my sygate configure, but if someone can help me with sygate i will stay in it? I choose jetico because it seems to be very trustworthy indicating many users personal feedback and to firewallleaktest.com results on testing: http://www.firewallleaktester.com/termination.php
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php

I already have configured my sygate with next directions: http://www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html

So, the question is: Can somebody help me with sygate or give pictures and tips of configuring jetico?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2006
  2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

3. waters

waters Registered Member

Sygate 3408 here and no problems

4. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

That is the greeting page for the ShieldUp test, click on "All Service Ports" to check if you have "Stealthed Ports".
    Jetico 2 Beta 20 also gets that screen.
    I have been using Jetico 2 for a long time, It is hard to configure but I think its worth it.
    What I think is the hardest is the Process Attack Table configuration, It sometimes takes several reboots and running all your installed programs to configure, there may be some slowdowns and freezes till its configured.
    I see alot of people give up and uninstall Jetico because of this, and don't seem to have the time to play with it.
    Other than that its a excellent Firewall. I have no problems with it. My opinion, I wouldn't use anything else.
    If you decide to try Jetico I would make a backup of your configuration file for Sygate ( if you can) so you revert back to it without problems.

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I suggest you use jetico v1, its a lot more secure than sygate and is lighter on resources i believe.
    Like any other firewall it will take some time to setup. Jetico has a lot of pop ups initially as you go thru and setup up all apps that need net access. After that its pretty silent.

6. Porshe

Porshe Registered Member

I would be glad if somebody here could compress few urgent settings which i need change to jetico configure after i have installed jetico so i can separate those settings on finnish forums and with my friends because many finnish guy wants to use jetico but they dont guts to install it because it looks so hard to use. So if somebody would be so nice i will really appreciate it =)

7. Porshe

Porshe Registered Member

I mean that if somebody could make a ''quick-config-file'' which has a rule for every windows processes which should be given a permit to internet and which should be blocked so that i can download it and test it. I don't know a lot of windows processes so i don't want to start testing with my ''eyes blinded''. Sry my english is harsh, because i'm fin :)

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

well, if I am not mistaken, Jetico is a Finnish company. Stem is the firewall mod with deep knowledge of Jetico.
    Also, use the search function and lots of Jetico threads will appear ;)

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    As to that message: it has nothing to do with your firewall, it has to do with your browser header. Don't worry. It's a useless message. Just scan the all the service ports. If you get stealthed or even closed, you're ok.
    Mrk

10. Porshe

Porshe Registered Member

Hello Mrkvonic

How can i contact Stem? I tried private messaging but i got a message ''The private messaging system is currently unavailable.''.

11. Porshe

Porshe Registered Member

My all ports were stealth. Hmm.. what file of sygate has my settings in it? I was just wondering if i test jetico and decide to change back sygate.

12. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Have to go now, be back home in about 5-6 hours, I'll look into it.
    Mrk

13. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Porshe, as Mrkvonic told you that was just an introductory item in grc.com test, what really matters is ,that, even without any particular setting, you are stealth and covered against any possible intrusion already-so what is the problem ?
    As you already know the Firewalleaktester site, if you apply their program to set up connection to the internet and leave Jetico as it is- (just give a look to previous threads about it)- why go back to Sygate?
    If,by any chance,you're running Avast antivirus,be warned about a sort of malfunction of Sygate when used with Avast Web Shield which will nullify outbound protection, if no Avast ,no problem.

14. Porshe

Porshe Registered Member

I have NOD32 2.70.16 antivirus system and AVG anti-spyware 7.5.0.50. But i still like to take backup of my sygate configuration if i dont get along with jetico.

15. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

http://news.hping.org/comp.security.firewalls.archive/8849.html

Save all the .dat files that are in the sygate folder.
    My Computer>Program Files

16. Porshe

Porshe Registered Member

Thanks kr4ey ;)

17. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Well I'm back, but there are faster people than me!
    Cheers,
    Mrk

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As Stem is a Moderator of this Forum....I'm sure he'll run across this thread at some point in time. As for your PM issue....I suggest you start a thread in our General Topics forum concerning that matter for further assistance.

Numerous OT posts removed and ask that We stick with the Problems with Sygate PFP Please.

Thanks,
    Bubba

19. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Porshe,
    There is no ''quick-config-file'' that I can post, as the applications attempting "access to network" and "internet access" will depend on the O.S., the services running, and the applications you have installed.

Most of the windows applications that require "Access to network" are included in the "System Applications" Table. In this Table are also rules to allow DHCP broadcast and DHCP for LAN.

On my own setup (XPsp2 all updates) the other windows applications I have added to allow "Access to network" are:-
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\imapi.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\verclsid.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\logonui.exe

20. bluegecko

bluegecko Registered Member

Hi all. I've been using Jetico PF (v.1) since August last year, but admit that I *still* haven't got completely to grips with it. In particular I'm missing the more useful (and intuitive) logging function of Sygate, even though Jetico's process hijack control is sweet. But with Jetico not planning a free version for 2.0 when it gets out of Beta, I'm still looking around.

Does anyone know whether the last versions of Sygate solved SPF's endless disk access problem (on all releases that I tried, up to 5.5.2710 and 5.6.2810, it prevented laptops from going to sleep). Sygate's forum has links to archived versions here: http://forums.sygate.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=14975

I'm particularly interested in feedback on builds 5.6.2818 and 5.6.3408.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.