Problems with Spywareblaster.

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Richard Gibeau, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Gibeau

Richard Gibeau Registered Member

This was last night:

I installed spywareblaster a short time back. Tonite after a reboot, a
    Java
    > icon showed up in the tasbar. I ignored it for awhile, but then decided to
    > run Spy-bot.
    >
    > I did, and rec'd a notice from them after they had finished that my
    > spywaremaster was running on Jave controls and that it would offer more
    > protection if it was X controlled. (I wish I could have copied the wording
    > correctly, but it wouldn't allow me to do so.
    >
    > Did I download the wrong version? When I opened spywareblaster, there were
    > no options to change controls.

My Java: J2rel.4.1_02

This AM, I reran Spybot after changing my IE security settings and rebooting.

No report about Java came from Spy-bot this time.

But, it concerns me that Java would show up in the task bar. In 4 years, I have never seen it do that.

I've run 2 virus scan (Avg and Trend Micro Housecall) and am wondering what could be wrongo_Oo_Oo_O??

Please help.

Thanks.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Richard,

Is spywaremaster a typo ?
    As far as the download....where did you download it from ?

Below is a link to the official Javacool Software download page.

This link---> Javacool Software

3. Richard Gibeau

Yes , I meant Spywareblaster. I downloaded it ater I googled it. I got the tip from a PC-Pitstop forum.

My Java: J2rel.4.1_02, I understand there are newer installs available, amonst them a Java: J2rel.4.2_02, and also a Java: J2rel.4.1_03.

Is this correct? And should I go to the site you recommended?

I thought that I downloaded it from there in the first place.

Thanks for the response and I'll look forward to your reply.

4. BlackSwan

BlackSwan Registered Member

The little Java icon (steaming coffee cup) in the system tray usually appears when a Java applet is loaded. It can be toggled on and off via the Java plugin in Control Panel.

There are even newer versions of Sun Java, but running an older version shouldn't normally be a problem (or have anything to do with the warning message you got - although I couldn't really vouch for that).

When you can't copy the text of a warning or error message from some application in any other way, it's a good idea to grab a screenshot. Press the Print ScreeN/SysRq key, open any image editor - MS Paint would do - and go Edit--> Paste. Then from the image of your desktop you can select and isolate the area of the message, save it as a .jpg or .gif file and upload it using the "Attach File" feature in the forum's Reply box.

BS :)

5. Richard Gibeau

Thanks much for the info on how to copy in a non-copying window.

I'm still waiting to here whether I should upgrade my Java.

If I do upgrade, should I uninstall the spywareblaster from add/remove and
    then use Reg Clean to make sure I have all the registry entries deleted?

6. BlackSwan

I'm not really the most suitable person to provide info on SpywareBlaster other than as a simple user, but I've never seen a message like the one you describe - it's a really strange error message. o_O I've been using both SB and Spybot Search & Destroy (with Tea-Timer running) for a long time, and have repeatedly installed/uninstalled various versions of Sun Java without getting any alerts of anything alarming.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Java? If I encountered a problem like this, I'd first uninstall Java and then SpywareBlaster. Then I'd restart the PC and reinstall them both in the reverse order (SB first - if you've downloaded the latest Java in the meantime, you can install that instead of the old one).

Now since you're using RegClean (I take it you mean Micro$oft's RegClean - the one with the red and green cube as an icon?) I suppose you must be running Windows 98... I have the latest Java on a Win 98 SE computer without any problems, but Win 9x may sometimes behave a bit strange in cases like this. You can run RegClean, but it doesn't really sweep all the remains of uninstalled programmes from the registry. If you're on XP, better not use RegClean as it may cause problems. A simple rebooting of the PC should be enough, I think. :)

And one last question - sorry for asking this but it never hurts to make sure. :) Is the Spybot you have the original Spybot Search & Destroy from http://safer-networking.de/? I'm asking because there are many "rogue" rip-offs of Spybot circulating on the web lately, with similar sounding names that may easily cause confusion.

Best,

Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  7. Richard Gibeau

I should have mentioned that I'm running XP.

The Regcleaner that I use is the old version from J. V. before they started charging for it at jvtool.

I will Uninstall java and spywareblaster, reboot, download spybl direct from javacool, and then get the java from sun.

Thanks for your helpBlack Swan.

8. Richard Gibeau

I want to thank all of you that have helped me.

I finished installing the updated versions of Spywareblaster and Java. XP System seems OK.

This brings up another question. Why do I even need Java?

Outside of freecell, I'm not a game player. Besides, reality of life is both fun and serious enough. And at 66, I value each actual experience.

So, do I even need java, or at least can I just keep it from starting up with either msconfig, or WinPatrol?

Will await a response.

Thanks, again.

9. BlackSwan

Glad to have been of help. :)

Well I don't play any games either, but Java is needed by some applets on web pages so that they can work correctly. Sometimes a page may not load at all or even crash the browser if it relies heavily on Java and the Java plugin is not installed.

Sun Java is an alternative/replacement for the default Micro$oft Java Virtual Machine (which isn't any more included in Win XP SP1) and a lot safer than the M$ Java, which has security holes responsible for the CWS infection. So it's not a bad idea to keep it there, especially if you have XP that didn't come with SP1 included. It will do no harm anyway. :)

If you don't want the little coffee cup icon to appear in the system tray, you can go to Control Panel --> Java Plug-in --> Basic and uncheck the Show Java in system tray option. You can also check the Do not start console option to stop it from loading automatically. Hit Apply and that should do the trick. ;) I've attached a screenshot for you.

Best,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  10. Richard Gibeau

Thanks, Black Swan, for your assistance.

Sorry it took so long to reply, but I didn't get a notice.

Thanks again, and have a successful weekend.

11. BlackSwan

You're most welcome. :)

I wish the same to you. :)

Take care,
    BS

12. Richard Gibeau

These are problems that I'm now having after I re-installed Spywareblaster, Sun-Java and Spywareguard.

Hp says it is a microsof5 problem and microsoft sends you in circles when you try to get their help. I had an e-mail address for a microsoft tech, but that has been changed and is no longer valid.

My new problems are as follows:

I hope someone can help me with this restart problem.

I click start\turnoff computer\restart and it starts to shut down, but then the "not responding screen" comes up and lets me know the the DDE window server is not responding. It tries to shut it down, but fails. If I click the "end task", my HP reboots. If I click cancel, then another screen comes up stating that "AWT toolkit window" is not responding. If I click the "end task", my HP reboots. If I click cancel, Nothing happens, it doesn't reboot, or anything. If I click "end task", the pc reboots.

I have googled both, but not enough help there to make me feel sure about what to do.

I had recently re-installed Java, asI was getting other error messages. These were corrected by Java (new edition from Sun: j2rel.4.1_02 and j2rel.4.2_05), but now I get the new 2 errors as explained above,

Awt toolkit is Java related.

DDE server window seems to be nedcessary by most googled sites, but one claims it should be removed or replaced.

What can I do to correct these reboot errors?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

13. Richard Gibeau

I did a reboot thru "cleanup", installed the new edition of Ad-Aware, ran the scan (clean) and did a regular restart, and lo and behold, my problems dissappeared.

Thanks to all those that did look at this post.

close

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.