Problems with Smart Sec & Internet connection (DHCP)

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by RubeSterling, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RubeSterling

RubeSterling Registered Member

Hello
    Got myself a little problem..
    When i reboot and windows xp starts to load up all the programs it freezes and laggs ALOT. It takes about 5min to start up all the programs.. then it runs fine.

Now i have found out that if i uninstall Eset Smart Security it doesn't do this OR if i unplug the internet cable from the computer it doesn't do it either.

So it has something to do with these two things.
    I have checked the event viewer and found this:
    Source: DHCP Event: 1003
    Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address XXXXXXXXXXXXX. The following error occurred:
    The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Do i have to setup something special in the firewall in smart security or what shall i do to fix this?

Thanks!

2. KarlBeer

KarlBeer Registered Member

Re-Install 669 version from https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=214323

If you have issues uninstalling, read this https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=214932

Verify that you have Internet Access BEFORE installing the NEW version.

Keep everything as default, Except Changing the Firewall to "Interactive Mode".

Once that is complete, Make sure that ESET is not blocking your LOCAL HOST.
    ---Setup/Advanced Setup/Rules and Zones/Setup Button Below "Zone and Rule Editor"/Zones Tab/Check that there is nothing in "Networks automatically marked as untrusted"......If there is, edit the rule and clear all untrusted.

Reboot.

Follow the prompts if asked when executing an app. If it doesn't work, make an advanced rule to ASK for that application for TCP/UDP, then you can change it to ALLOW when it prompts you.

That seems to be the SOLID Workaround for this Software.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If possible, please generate a complete memory dump per the instructions here and here. If you are willing to help us investigate the problem, let me know and I'll PM you information where to upload the dump if you don't have an ftp access at your disposal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.