Problems with Outpost 2.5 pro ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jg88swe, Oct 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jg88swe

jg88swe Registered Member

Hey guys i wonder if you experience the same problem as me with the Agnitum Outpost firewall 2.5 Pro..

The thing is that it dosent record firewall attacks in logs..
    And it dosent even show a attack window or sound when computer is attacked..
    I've used Op 2.5 sence the day it was released and i havet got any attack listed or any attack from pcflank when scanning computer...

Anyone have the same problem or got a solution?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2004
  2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

The attack-plugin has been redesigned in 2.5 (some found it to be too sensitive i guess), have you tried to tweak the settings? :)

Attached Files:

• 29.png
      29.png
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
  3. jg88swe

jg88swe Registered Member

yeah i have tweak the settings and tested everything but it dosent work :/

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

With the Alarm level set to High, I still get no alerts at either GRC or PC Flank. I also noticed that when I try tweaking the Port Scanning Advanced Settings, the settings revert to default when I exit the dialogue. However,the main issue I have with 2.5 is the Outpost service occasionally terminating at startup:

Application exception occurred:
    App: C:\PROGRA~1\Agnitum\OUTPOS~1\outpost.exe (pid=400)
    When: 10/14/2004 @ 14:17:33.376
    Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

Nick

Attached Files:

• op25.gif
      op25.gif
      File size:
      18.3 KB
      Views:
  5. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

YUP...............same here....nothing but problems and i too have tweaked this and that..........also did two super clean reinstalls http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7188 you can look at their forum under http://www3.agnitum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35
    also at other forums.............you are not alone and it seems all you can do is submit your problem to Agnitum http://www.agnitum.com/support/supportform.html
    Some have had LUCK with starting and stopping 'Enable Logging' under Tools.
    IMHO 2.1 sure was nice.........:(

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Rainwalker,

More relevant threads to refer to would be OP 2.5 counters/logging issue (the solution was enabling IPX/SPX and NetBEUI protocols on the network card) or v2.5 new alert sound (no solution, but has a number of possible settings to check).

Nick S,

Are you running any software that could prevent or restrict a service from starting? (Process Guard, SSM, Abtrusion Protector or PrevX). If so check their logs for any Outpost-related entries (or try disabling them during a test reboot).

7. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

I really am happy that many folks have 2.5 working..........sure do wish it was working as it should here....i am not comfortable with no popups/sound ..e.g. thinking maybe something else is not as it should be although it has passed the tests i've thrown at it...........went back to 2.1 and my browser speed more then doubled....i knew 2.5 was slowing it down but i kinda got used to it......i for one will wait for a patch or next version.

8. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Running PG latest beta and BOClean. It's difficult to troubleshoot because the termination is random. It can terminate on 2 out of 3 startups, or it can go for as long as a week without terminating. It terminates more frequently on my Athlon 64 FX53 (clean install of 2.5 on a clean install of XP SP2) and less frequently on my P4 3.06 (no HT). When it terminates, the initial OP tray icon hangs and disappears instead of changing to the Rules Wizard icon. I could disable PG, but I would have to disable it for at least 2 weeks to be certain PG was the cause. The logs show nothing, but I will double-check.

Someone posted at the Agnitum forum that they think their lifetime key is the cause. I have 2 lifetime keys.

Nick

9. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Just happened again on my Athlon 64 system:

Event Viewer shows:

The application, C:\PROGRA~1\Agnitum\OUTPOS~1\outpost.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 10/24/2004 @ 21:20:54.109 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 77C46137 (msvcrt!strdup).

PG's log shows only:

Sun 24 - 21:20:53 [EXECUTION] "c:\windows\system32\drwtsn32.exe" was allowed to run
    [EXECUTION] Started by "c:\progra~1\agnitum\outpos~1\outpost.exe" [720]

Nick

10. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

11. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Thanks. I extracted msvcrt.dll and will advise.

Nick

Error occured again after 6 restarts:

The application, C:\PROGRA~1\Agnitum\OUTPOS~1\outpost.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 10/24/2004 @ 22:48:16.187 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 77C46137 (msvcrt!strdup).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  12. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Since we are talking about OP 2.5 we posted there that the DNS plugin does not work at all here (but with no other connection or DNS problems). The plugin shows 0 in each line.

13. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I tried outpost before but uninstalled it as it messed up my internet connection.

14. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I find this version 2.5 very stable on my prescott, no prbs whatsoever. glad I have my licence but we all knew that the first three/four weeks members would receive some prbs.

with V2.1 I had to login every two days to my isp, this probl is gone now(knock on wood).

sorry are having these issues and I hope it will be solved soon.

15. CyGho

CyGho Registered Member

Are you behind a router? A router blocks most of the "attacks" . I have the same but when I connect my PC directly to my cable modem (so without the router) the attacks are poping up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.