Problems with Look 'n' Stop and NewsBin V5

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Peto, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peto

Peto Registered Member

I have been using Look 'n' Stop V2.06 for more than a year and have been using NewsBin Version 4.32, also for more than a year--no problems.

Recently I upgraded to NewsBin V5; and when I now start Newsbin V5, there are strange Look 'n' Stop application filters which pop up to ask if I authorize certain "software applications" access to the internet. These application filters reference "software applications" that are described by symbols that are not on my keyboard and are not in any obvious foreign language. I have tried both refusing as well as rejecting these "software applications". These responses by me often result in a postage-stamp-sized, dialog box titled "FWAPI" (apparently from Look 'n' Stop) with a numerical value and also with an "ok" button.

Almost any sequence of responses eventually results in a "System32 error" and a timed warning for a system shut down, which eventually occurs.

If I go to the Look 'n' Stop Application Filter List there are about 30 or so new "applications" with either a "?" symbol or a string of the non-keyboard symbols. I have removed these; but they return if I boot up the NewsBin V5 again.

This may appear to be a NewsBin V5 problem; but I have brought this to the NewsBin Forum:

http://forums.newsbin.com/viewtopic.php?t=22419

There I am told this is probably a Firewall problem.

Are there any ideas about what may be going on?

Any observations are appreciated in advance. :)

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

The dialog box with FWAPI title is a problem in Look 'n' Stop, reported several times. It happens when there are a lot of simultaneous alerts in the application filtering part.

This is for me a consequence of a first issue, about strange application connecting.
    Could you put here a screenshot of the application filtering page, after you have refused these application to connect. In particular, the column with the full exe pathname would be interesting, so make sure the size of this column is enough large.
    Since there is a free trial, I will try NewsBin. Which version of Windows are you using: XP/Vista, 32/64 bits ?

Thanks,

Frederic

3. Peto

Peto Registered Member

Thank you, Frederick.

I hope that I understand this forum's etiquette as it relates to screenshot posting

I had trouble with my usual image hosting website; but am now trying a new one. So let's try this:

http://yourupload.com/fh/download/6799/LooknStop.jpg.html

I hope that this larger-sized image easily downloads.

Note that I have edited the image to highlight in yellow the line that relates to the single "software application" that appeared this time.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Peto,

Thanks for the screenshot.
    I assume you are using Windows XP - 32bits, but could you confirm ?

Thanks,

Frederic

5. Peto

Peto Registered Member

Thanks again, Frederick

My operating System is Windows 2000 Professional, Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195.

I hope this helps.

I really appreciate your time. :)

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Ok thanks, I will test NewsBin V5 on this OS and let you know if I rteproduce the issue.

Regards,

Frederic

7. blackdog56

blackdog56 Registered Member

I am using Look N' Stop 2.06p2 with Newsbin 5.40 with no problems at all. This is on Windows XP SP2. I upgraded Newsbin in place from 5.35 which also had no problems.

8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

I've tested also Newsbin V5 on Win2000, and I haven't got these strange alerts.

On the screenshot you have posted, I am seeing now that you have the '!!' attributes for some applications which are allowed.
    So, maybe the problem is related to what I was suggesting in a previous post: too many simultaneous alerts, as some other users already reported a similar issue there, by having also the FWAPI dialog box.

I suggest you remove the full log attribute ('!!') for allowed application, to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks,

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.