Problems With Installing Rollback RX

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Enigma83, Oct 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enigma83

Enigma83 Registered Member

This is my first post on the forums. I've come here because I'm trying to install RBRX on Windows 8. The install goes fine, at the end it asks me to reboot. I do so, but the recovery console doesn't appear before Windows boots up. When I get to the desktop I see RBRX's icon in the system tray, left/right-clicking it does nothing. Trying to uninstall it also does nothing, the uninstaller just hangs (I can see it in Task Manager) after I click OK when it says all snapshots will de deleted (I have none).

It's also worth noting that I have a quadruple boot system (W8, Server 2012, Linux Mint, Kali Linux, and Hackintosh soon to be installed in the next few days). I also plan to use DiskCryptor WDE on both Windows partitions.

I have looked into imaging solutions, but all of them seem to require that you image the entire partition/drive (including free space) when some form of WDE is installed. Hence the reason why I have turned to system restore solutions. I know they're not an end-all solution, I would still use imaging as a failsafe.

Another thing is that RBRX wont install on Server OSes, which I expected anyways. I see they do have a server RAID solution available on their site, but I have no intention of buying 2 kinds of licenses just to use one program. I mainly use Server for coding and development tasks anyways, not as an actual server, since it seems to be well-suited to those tasks. The installer seems to be InstallShield-based, it's only a matter of time before I hack up a solution to make it install on Server.

The last thing I'm having an issue with, is that it asks during the installation if I plan to install it in a Windows multiboot situation, if I click yes I get the scenario outlined in paragraph 1, but I recently discovered that if I click no (since it wont install in Server anyways), that the recovery console appears after boot. But there's another issue, the text in the console appears to be distorted (I cant take a screenshot for obvious reasons). So I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, it goes back to the console and offers multiple options, asking if I want to install in VGA mode, text-only mode, etc. No matter which I choose, it hangs at 33%.

I have every intention of paying for this software, but only if I can get it to cooperate. I'm currently using Drive Snapshot as my imaging solution, it's fast and only backs up the used (not free) space and it even compresses the backups. And it has incremental/differential options along with checksumming. Not sure if it works with WDE yet, I'm about to test that out. In the meantime I'm looking into other options.

I would really appreciate any help on this, especially in regards to forcing a Server install. As long as I'm paying I really don't think it matters.

I would appreciate any help on this matter!

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If you check out their forum, http://community.horizondatasys.com/ you will find that they have had some problems with V10.xx and you may see someone having the same problem as you. I'm glad to see you haven't paid for it yet in case you can't resolve your problems.

3. Enigma83

Enigma83 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, I am reading their forums, but I figured that WS would be a better place to post. After all, no one at HorizonDatasys is going to help me with installing it on Server. I want a unified solution that will work on both of my Windows partitions while allowing me to have snapshots. I really don't like the idea of using several pieces of software to accomplish this.

4. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

You will find lots of former Rx users here so perhaps someone will help you with your problem. I should warn you that there are many reasons why we are former users and you might want to take a look at AX64 which is a snapshot imaging hybrid. Its a fairly young product but it is being rapidly developed. Also, as bad as HDS support is AX64 support is good. That is its the best I have seen in over 20 years of using a PC.

5. kriteshHDS

kriteshHDS Registered Member

Hey everyone just wanted to jump in and drop a quick updates. I understand some of you have had issues with earlier builds of Rollback Rx version 10 that was out, but I highly recommend anyone that is having issues to downloaded the latest build of Rollback Rx version 10.2 with most of the bugs that were reported fixed. You can download the latest build from here: http://www.horizondatasys.com/en/products_and_solutions.aspx?ProductId=1

And if anyone that has questions feel free to post on our community forum and one of our technical support team members will be happy to help you out: http://community.horizondatasys.com/

6. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Are you aware that RB doesn't support TRIM in case you have a SSD?
    My 2¢ here: I used Comodo Time Machine (it was free), clone of RB, on both an XP Desktop and a Vista Laptop, so I'm familiar with that technology. I built this x64 W7 desktop and was going to purchase RB during the next sale when I discovered (here) about the TRIM issue. I purchased AX64 and can tell you that it seems to me to be just as fast as RB without the MBR risks or ware on a SSD.

7. Masterblaster

Masterblaster Registered Member

Really? I posted a question there on their forum exactly one week ago and there is no response yet. You can't tell me that the moderator or administrator aren't reading the forums at lease once a week.

8. kriteshHDS

kriteshHDS Registered Member

Hey masterblaster,
    I have found your thread on your community forum, I will get you a response on this shortly.

@ratchet Rollback Rx does support TRIM on SSD's here is a official release by Horizon Datasys: http://community.horizondatasys.com...lback-rx-ssd-trim-and-disk-defraggers-support

Also wanted to point out that Comodo Time Machine is a very old Version of Rollback RX (version 8.0) that Comodo took and renamed. However as you all may know, comodo now has discontinued Comodo time machine and is no longer available for download directly from their website.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  9. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

I wonder if RBRX and TRIM operating in conjunction together can create hot spots or dead spots on the SSD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.