problems with firewall in interactive mode

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by nonoise, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

I have problems with my ESS. I've got firewall set to interactive mode, i run Firefox or IE, ESS asks me if i want to allow the connection, i choose yes and i set it to remember the rule. Everythings fine. But as soon as i reset my computer and run Firefox or IE pages won't load. What could be the problem?

2. RJurjevic

RJurjevic Registered Member

After rebooting the computer are you still in Interactive Firewall mode or you switch back to Automatic?

If you are in the Automatic mode then Firefox or IE will be blocked as the rules saved in Interactive mode won't be applied.

You should either continue running in Interactive mode or switch to Policy-based mode, more info about Policy-based mode at... https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=222871

Basically, one runs in Interactive mode long enough to set-up most of the rules, then switches to Policy-based mode (which is Automatic mode plus all the rules defined in the Interactive mode).

If you are an experienced computer user you can always run in Interactive mode, but switching to Policy-based mode may be convenient if a less experienced user is using the computer (this is sort of custom Automatic mode, it automatically blocks all the traffic you did not explicitly allowed for and which is not allowed by ESS as default).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  3. nonoise

After the reboot, the firewall is still in interactive mode when FF or IE won't open pages.

4. RJurjevic

Ah, in that case it is a puzzle for me, is there a dialog popping up asking you to permit the traffic?

5. nonoise

nope, no pop up, the rule is already created and saved. tried with .669 and .672, no luck.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What OS are you using? Did you save the rules in the administrator or user account?

7. nonoise

i'm administrator, its the only account on this pc (win xp sp3). i'm in policy based mode atm, all good for now.

8. RJurjevic

Do not understand, have you created the rules to allow network traffic for your web browsers manually or they would anyway be given the permission in the Automatic mode?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  9. RJurjevic

Does anybody know what are the rules which are implicitly applied in the Automatic mode?

10. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

From the ESS help file...

11. nonoise

i've set up rules for FF and IE in interactive mode, all works fine until computer is restarted. after reboot, firewall is still in interactive mode but FF and IE won't work. i can see the rules i created before, they are set on allow. if i then put firewall to automatic or policy-based FF and IE work.

12. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Which build of ESET Smart Security are you running?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

13. nonoise

its 3.0.672, but i gave up on this, i use policy based mode now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.