Problems with F-Prot for DOS

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by abhi_mittal, Mar 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

Hi,
    I downloaded the free F-prot for DOS on-demand scanner. When I ran the program, it said that I have to run it with a /NoFLoppy command line. This was because I dont have a floppy drive on my laptop. o_O

What can I do to set the problem riight? I want to use this product as I heard its a good backup scanner.

Help will be appreciated,

Abhishek

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Abhishek,

Do you have a floppy on your laptop? If not, just use the command line switch as indicated. I don't have F-Prot for DOS on my system, but I assume that you would enter (minus the quotation marks) "f-prot /NOFLOPPY" instead of "f-prot" in the MS-DOS window.

Blue

3. abhi_mittal

I do not have a floppy drive.I am simply unable to get it working. When I click on the main .exe file, I get that message.

Can you give me detailed instructions on how to use it?

Sorry for the trouble

Regards,
    Abhishek

4. BlueZannetti

Abhishek,

The easiest thing to do is probably just create a shortcut and edit that command line.

If you already have a shortcut on your desktop, ignore the next step

Launch Explorer. Navigate to the directory where you've placed F-Prot, if you haven't placed it in its own folder yet, please do so. An example would be C:\Program Files\F-Prot. Copy all the files that were contained in the zip file to this location if you've just created this location.

Right-click and drag F-Prot.exe to the Desktop. When you release the mouse button, select Create Shortcut Here. This should create a DOS shortcut on you Desktop entitled Shortcut to F-Prot. I usually edit out the "Shortcut to".

Right-click the Shortcut icon and select Properties. Select the Program tab. In the box entitled Cmd line, add /NOFLOPPY after fullpath\F-PROT.EXE where fullpath is whatever pathname is used on your machine. Make sure there is a space between these two pieces of text. Select OK.

That should be it. Double click on the icon and see if it works.

Blue

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Take a look here;
    http://qqsoftware.xs4all.nl/fprot/F-PROT.htm
    http://www.claymania.com/rate-fprot.html

However, this DOS scanner was primarily designed for non-NT systems.

Therefore, if you are using WIN2000/XP you may need to go to http://www.sysinternals.com. Here, they offer a free tool which allows access to NTFS files from MS DOS.

Command-line switches here; http://www.claymania.com/COMMAND.TXT

Hopefully, Blue's instructions will work.

If not, you may however, find 'easier' to set-up back-up AV scanners. BitDefender?

Also consider only using one of the on-line AV scanners as your back-up and layer your Avast AV with a free on-demand AT scanner.

6. abhi_mittal

BlackCat,

Thanks for your suggestions. I am contemplating Bitdefender Free as my backup scanner.

You mentioned free Anti-Trojan software. Can you name some for me?
    I know of A2 and Ewido. Which is the better one?

Regards,
    Abhishek

7. BlueZannetti

Abhishek,

You can get a sense of what's available and used by a number of folks here.

Blue

8. Blackcat

Did you manage to get F-Prot to work for you with Blue's instructions. Your response may help other members in the future. Yes, BitDefender is supposed to be a very good back-up scanner ;)
    I use both. At the present time, I would say Ewido is the better, polished product of the two. But since they are both free why not download and install both and see which one you prefer.

9. abhi_mittal

Nope, I couldnt get the F-prot working with Blue's Instructions. I thus decided to go for Bitdefender free which is pretty easy to handle.

Thanks for the advice on AT.

You have been a great help this evening.

Warmest Regards,
    Abhishek

10. Blackcat

Thanks for reporting back, Abhishek.

Hope everything goes well.

11. BlueZannetti

Strange. Just to satisfy my curiousity, I downloaded F-Prot/DOS and went through the steps. No problem and it's on an NTFS volume on XP/SP2. Don't think I missed any steps.

Blue

12. Blackcat

Hmmmmmmm,

Maybe Abhishek did not follow all your steps or he moved swiftly on to BitDefender :D

But Blue, if F-Prot does scan on the NTFS volume, does it appear to scan as many files as it should?

13. BlueZannetti

Good question Blackcat, I just started it up and then cut it off. Quick answer - no, not by any stretch of the imagination. Doesn't seem to be a real rhyme or reason to it either.

An appropriate free or on-line scanner option is clearly the best course of action.

Blue

14. Blackcat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.