Problems with ESS4 and ICS on Vista

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by everwicked, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. everwicked

everwicked Registered Member

Hello,

I am having problems sharing my Internet Connection with ESS4 on Vista. This configuration used to work flawlessly with ESS3.

My Internet Connection is connected through a LAN connection and I am sharing it over Wireless across my house. Vista uses the 192.168.0.0 network to assign IPs.

My ESET firewall is working in Interactive mode and as far as I can see, there are only the default Block rules. I have enabled sharing for the 192.168.0.0 network in the Trusted Zones config and it didn't work.

So, to further debug it, I created an Allow All rule for the 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254 IP range and asked ESET to log it.

Initially, it was detecting a DNS poisoning attack. Remember I am only logging this rule and hence this must have been caused by the ICS somehow.
    I disabled the detection of DNS poisoning and enabled the firewall again. Then there was a number of "Incorrect IP Packet Length" messages and ICS was still not working.

Am I trying to make ESS4 work with ICS in vain? Are these known problems? Have I not configured it correctly?

Any suggestions would be more than welcome, thanks.

everwicked

2. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

You really don't need to keep Vista's ICS enabled at all with ESS installed. It's just an extension of Windows Firewall which you should have disabled as well.

3. everwicked

everwicked Registered Member

And how do you suggest that I share my Internet connection?

4. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

All depends on how you have your network setup.

Which pic best describes your setup? The solid black lines could be the imaginary wireless connection and you probably don't have a Switch either.

Setup A

SetupA.JPG

Setup B

SetupB.JPG

If your network is like Setup A then ICS is pointless. The Router does all the work.

If your network is like Setup B then, yes, you would need ICS because your system would be the hub (you could omit the router in Setup B).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.