Problems with e-mail scanner (BUG)

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by sinesium, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinesium

sinesium Registered Member

Hi,
    I have discovered some kind of bug in e-mail scanner.
    This bug causes total damage of recieved e-mails. Recieved e-mails are empty.

Sometimes, form unknown reasons, operating system denies access to temporary folders (stored in TEMP and TMP system's envirnoment variables ). Reasons of that are not important unlike behavior of NOD's e-mail scanner.
    When e-mail scanner is receiving messages and it has no place to store it temporarly user receives empty e-mails. In the same time, when e-mail client recieved this empty message it requests to server to delete orginal messages from e-mail acconunt. So user stays with nothing.
    I have lost few important e-mails in this way, because I didn't realize that NOD32 has problems with access to temporary place.

I think, that scanner engine should have internal safety mechanism to prevent e-mail client from delete messages from server, when scanning process cannot be completed (i.e. cause of problems with temporary place on disk).
    Think about it and improve your software. Thanks.

2. Eryan

Eryan Eset Staff Account

Hi sinesium, we appreciate the information. Would you mind replying with:

-Your O/S version
    -version of mail client
    -EAV version
    -method used to connect to mail server (POP3, IMAP, etc.)

-Thanks!

3. sinesium

sinesium Registered Member

WIndows XP HOME
    Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.12
    NOD32 3.0.572.0
    POP3

4. dpillost

dpillost Registered Member

Exactly same problem here on 2 different machines :

Windows XP Pro SP2 French
    ESET 3.0.642
    Thunderbird 2.0.0.12
    POP3
    for both of them.

I run Comodo as a firewall.

All started when my 2.70.39 versions stopped updating itself one week ago. I've only noticed it when Windows security center warned me. Then I've got the error : cannot create temporary file or something similar in French.
    I've decided to upgrade to v3 and install went well. But v3 has 'eaten' my mails since, so I went back to v2 and all is ok so far (a few hours).

So the problem of access to temp files also occurs with v2 as well as v3.

Please also notice I run v2 on 3 other Windows SP2 PC with Comodo and Thunderbird and no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.