Problems with drivers and the bootable CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by chriscalvert, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chriscalvert

chriscalvert Registered Member

Can anybody confirm that the bootable CD is only created with standard Windows drivers ? (My problem is with version 9, can't remember the build but I have just downloaded 2323 and will try that next).
    I have had various problems with various versions of TI and a whole lot might boil own to a mistaken belief on my part that the bootable CD is created with whatever drivers happen to be being used on the system that creates the CD.
    My current problem is with a SI3124 raid controller. I can create an image but cannot restore it using the CD which doesn't find the Raid controller - presumably because the bootable CD doesn't load the correct drivers.
    So is it too hard to make the bootable CD using the current loaded drivers that are on the system creating the CD ?
    Because I resell TI I have had the pleasures (?) of working with about 20-30 builds over the years. It is a case of using the current build, finding something that should work but doesn't, researching, waiting and then 3-6 months later finding that the current build now works. So onto the next thing that doesn't work.
    The only reason I am persevering is because the product is easy to use once the bugs are sorted and before the next ones arise.
    Looking back over a number of past messages a fix for the issue of the bootable CD being created without the current loaded drivers would solve a lot of users problems. It would certainly have solved a number of my past problems.
    Another concern is that the product is so cheap (is this the problem ?) so it is difficult to make any money on it especially when some problems can take several hours to sort out. I would say that in the last 2 years I have spent an additional 100 hours over and above the .5 hour that should be taken to install and configure for a customers use.

I will be investigating the BartPE method but I don't believe that this is a permanent solution because whenever you upgrade builds you might have to recreate the BartPE CD and this would be a nuisance.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Chris,

Firstly, remember to uninstall the previous version before installing Build 2323 (it won't install correctly unless you do this).

When you boot into the "Full" version of TI's rescue environment it's Linux based and hence doesn't use Windows drivers. The "Safe" environment uses a combination of your motherboard's BIOS routines and DOS to access your hardware - again, no Windows drivers.

The bootable rescue CD is generic and contains the latest Linux device drivers available at the time of that particular TI Build's release. You should therefore create a new rescue CD each time you update TI in order to benefit from any bug fixes and more/improved Linux device drivers.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.