Problems with Browser Hijack Blaster v 1.0

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Mr_Built, Jan 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_Built

Mr_Built Registered Member

I downloaded and did a test on Browser Hijack Blaster v 1.0. The concept is good but there are some technical errors and oversights the author may want to address.

I have listed them below:

BROWSER HIJACK version 1.0

FAULT 1. The program concatinates the homepage string to just 55 characters in length. This means if the homepage is longer than 55 characters it will continually falsely warn the homepage has been changed since the concatinated string will never equal the true string.

FAULT 2. The program does not use a correctly formatted icon group. There is NO 16x16 icon included in the resources which means the display in the system tray and start menu will always be bad.

FAULT 3. The icon used in the program uses an irregular 16 colour palette. This means the icon will NOT correctly display on most computers. The palette contains no colour BLACK which makes it impossible for the computer to accurately interpret the icon colours to be displayed.

FAULT 4. The program is packaged as an executable file. This is BAD. Packages should be in zip format with a ReadMe.txt for the user to read first.

FAULT 5. Documentation is non existant.

GOOD 6.   The concept of the program is good.

GOOD 7. Installation and removal is good.

This comment is intended to help, NOT to criticise. I would not have commented at all if the program was a loss. Quite the contrary, the concept is good, the programming and the presentation need cleaning up.

Contact me at ogmaps@yahoo.com if the author would like to experiment with a properly formatted icon group. I will email it to him.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Mr_Built,

Thank you for the detailed analysis. I'm sure Javacool will appreciate it, especially as he's looking at this program's future.

Something you should know, Javacool redesigned the browser hijack protection when he built a newer product, SpywareGuard. There is basically an updated version of BHB inside SpywareGuard as one component of that program. It is a better version of it, as well. You could try that program if you have the time, and see if it addresses some of your concerns.

http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareguard.html

- Please note that the only download mirror working right now for this program is the BTN Mirror at Majorgeeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.