Problems with AV test file

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Lanchi, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lanchi

Lanchi Registered Member

Hi

Two days ago I installed new AV software - Bitdefender since i read some very good reviews. Then I decided I wanted to test it so I downloaded a Test file from eicar.com. They say it´s just a harmless test file that AV software recognize as a virus. Then my troubles began....
    That test file replicated itself all over my computer. I coudnt stop all virus alerts from Bitdefender, they just poped up everywhere. When I scanned my comp., AV could identify many infected files and delete some but couple of them it couldnt. Next day there were 20-30 new files. My Internet connection got very slow and I started to get blanked error pages. So, I decieded to uninstall Bitdefender. After I did that I could manually delete many "infected" files but 3 of them couldnt be deleted. I installed Free AVG and this AV didnt find any infections. The infected files also stoped replicating but I still get those empty pages in IE from time to time.

Could anyone know what´s this all about? I mean, it was just a test file, NO virus and it got me so much trouble.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    The most important thing - where did you download the file?
    If you downloaded it from the official site, then it might be ok. If not, who knows what you did.
    Advice about testing these files:
    NEVER on your primary computer
    NEVER without backup / imaging / shadow configuration
    NEVER without knowing how to fully recover
    Always check MD5 sum for the downloaded file versus what it should be.
    Always upload such file to a scan to Jotti online malware scan.
    Mrk

3. Lanchi

Lanchi Registered Member

I downloaded it from a official site - www.eicar.com. That´s what bugs me too. Off course, they say "you download it on your own risk..." but it also says it´s just a simple word file that can not do any harm.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Did you do any of the steps I asked BEFORE clicking on the file?
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.