Problems uninstalling Spy Sweeper

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I tried to uninstall Spy Sweeper but got an error message which said:

"File"C:\Program files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\unins000.dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall."

My subscription is up and I am unable to reinstall the CD to see if I could then uninstall the program. Any ideas what I can do to uninstall this? I wrote Webroot but I doubt I hear back from them.

Thanks in advance.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Curious what you are replacing Spysweeper with?

I just unisntalled SS today too. Man, I feel like I got a new computer. That is one resource hogging program.

I talked the folks at PC Tools into giving me a full trial version of Spyware Doctor. I REALLY like this program so far. faster scans than SS. Computer runs faster too.

But part of me doesn't want to buy another secuirty app. Lord knows I could afford to save the money as it's been a lean year. I am seriosuly considering using only free applications. Spyware terrminator is on my list to try. Sanboxie too.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

ejr - I know what you mean about SS. I have another year to go on it, so I use it for manual scans. AVG 7.5 (ewido 4.0) is my active scanner because it's light on its feet and updates definitions a few times a day. You can use it free if you don't care about live update.:)

5. acr1965

I think a person could do real well on free apps these days. I have CounterSpy until next May. The renew is just $9.99 per year so I kept it going. I just hope their 2.0 is pretty good. If it is not I'll probably go with Spyware Terminator without activating Clam or HIPS. I have the free SSM which seems to work real well. I have thought about bufferzone free and have it on IE only. I love trying new programs but I try to check them out a lot before downloading. I have heard that installing and deleting so many programs can hurt my computer so I try to be more careful these days. But ST worked well before...it's just that Crawler relationship that I don't really like.

6. acr1965

7. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I may just bite the bullet and pay for one more year NOD32 and a year of Spyware Doctor. I also use Comodo Firewall.

The next major release of Comodo Firewall is supposed to have full HIPS and a Sandbox module. Comine that with a free AV llike Avira, Avast or AVG and you pretty much have a rock solid free suite. So I might wait until Comodo release V3 of their Firewall, then go all free.

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

ejr - NOD32 is a great AV, and works well with Comodo. What have you heard about Spyware Doctor? Is it light on its feet and have a small footprint? :D

9. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I love NOD and Comodo. I just installed Spyware Doctor today. It is just as thorough as Spysweeper, but much lighter. Nice GUI. Fast scans. Comprehensive protection.

Some people have gotten false positives from it. And I personally did not like the fact that the trial was not the full version. But after emailing PC tools about that, they gave me a fully functional demo. Upon installing Spyware Doctor , you have to UNCHECK the box next to "install Google Toolbar". I thought that this was a poor choice by PC Tools. But overall the product is solid.

With NOD/Comodo/Spyware Doctor I feel well protected. I would call Spyware Doctor best in class. Very much like Spysweeper (easy to use, attractive GUI, throrouhg coverage, highly refined) and maybe a hair better as well as much lighter. Definitely worth a look.

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Google has snuck that toolbar into a few other installs I've seen. I don't need it. Thanks for the info.:)

11. acr1965

I also have NOD32/Comodo. They seem to work real well together. I'll probably probably bite the bullet with NOD32 when my subscription is up, too. Heck for like $27 for a renew is not all that bad, especially when the free apps are pretty good for HIPS, firewall and spyware. And it is pretty hard to beat ESET. But if I choose not to go with NOD32 I'll probably give antivir a try first. Then again I'll probably end up trying a few others as well. But NOD has been real good. It is a lightweight, set and forget if there ever was one. I could not ever imagine paying the prices Norton and McAfee demand. Plus they are such resource hogs it is just rediculous. And besides that, even if the price were not the issue I think there are many free programs that provide more security.

12. acr1965

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

ACR1965, Like I say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If after hunting around you find an AV like NOD32, be glad you have found it and leave it on your pc. Every time I think back to those days of yesteryear when I used Norton and McAfee my blood runs cold. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.