Problems setting up Jetico V2

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by djg05, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have installed Avast to check,... I am getting many different remote IP connections (12 up to now),.. but all are going to HTTP(remote port 80), so the Browser rules would cover all the updates for Avast.

Attached Files:

2. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Stem

I will give that a go.

Sorry to bug you so much with this.

3. vlk

vlk AV Expert

At this moment, avast uses 72 different updating servers (download1.avast.com - download72.avast.com), adding more as needed...

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Can you confirm,.. are these all using HTTP?

5. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Yes, the updates are fetched using HTTP (port 80 unless a proxy server is specified).

Other than that, we also ping (i.e. send ICMP packets) to our servers.

Cheers
    Vlk

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Thanks for confirmation,

Regards,
    Stem

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

By the way,... you are not bugging me,........ post as many questions as you need/want to.

8. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks - appreciate that - so you asked for it <g>

Jetico has been a lot quieter today not that I have been in here much, but no popups when I have got back.

Still have the problem with starting up first thing in that it will sometimes not be able to connect to the server.

It is still taking an age to close down - many minutes, in fact I have to turn the power off it is taking so long. Is this a bug in this version. No other f/w I have tried has had this problem.

Re the other thread I posted about ports 137-9. Does Jetico naturally block these or do rules have to be put in place?

9. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Stem

I have had two consecutive freezes this evening. It seems it does not like Opera. This link in particular caused the freeze

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOME/

For the time being I have had to go back to Kerio but have kept the config files so hopefully this and the long shut downs will be improved in the next update.

If you think this freeze up is valid perhaps you could forward it to the developer.

10. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Stem

Is there any work around for the Opera and shut down issues. I would like to get back to Jetico but need to have my computer functioning through the week.

Is there any update due out soon?

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

your shutdown issue will probably be down to your rules,... I could post instructions on what to do for checking.
    Opera,.. I will install later this afternoon to check.
    I have no info on this.

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Which version of Opera are you using?,... I am currently running Opera 9.01 with no (at this time) apparent problems.
    Are you using any plugins of any sort for opera?

13. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

I used Opera 9.01 and I ma using Opera 9.02 RC at the moment and I haven't noticed any problems with it nad Jetico.
    Also I have slow shutdown and I can't solve it with the rules. In my case it seems that there is some conflict with PeerGuradian2, if I close PeerGuardian manualy before shutdown, there isn't any problem, computer turns off normaly.

14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

This is probably due to "exit from network" not being allowed, and the timeout needed. (I have seen this while running debug rules for other apps) Have you allowed (created a rule) for "indirect access" for PeerGuardian

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

For shutdown (or startup) problems, please try:-
    Go to "indirect access" table, select the debug rule, enable the rule, and move (drag) the rule to just above the "ask" rule, and set logging to notice or warning (see pic). Disconnect from the internet, and reboot the PC. Once re-booted, check the Jetico logs. (This may also need to be done for "access to network")

EDIT:
    Please remember to disable this rule when completed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  16. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

Yes I 've allowed Inderect Acces for PeerGuardian. Somethimes there isn't delay during shutdown although I don't exit PeerGuardian manulay, but it is ver rare. Most of the shutdowns there is a delay, but if I close PeerGuardian before shutdown there isn't any delay. Do you have any other idea?

17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Are you running any P2P software just before the shutdown, P2P software will continue to run (in the background, to complete/finish transfer, even after an exit from the program) This may cause PeerGuardian to keep monitoring.

18. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I am using 9.01. It was ok loading. I did a paste and go operation on the link I gave earlier. It loaded about half then froze. I use PG and I notice that Opera wants a global mouse hook which I don't allow. Would this have any bearing on the matter?

19. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks

Will try that later

20. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

I don't use any P2P, I use PeerGuardian only with Spyware and Ads lists. It is much easier to control block list through it, comapred to hosts file. If some page is blocked it blinks in the try and I can allow that IP eith one click.

Thanks for your suggestions Stem.

I will try to debug PeerGuardian rules later and will report the results.

21. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have installed PeerGuardian, no problems up to now (many re-boots made),.. what is your OS? (XPsp2),
    I know PeerGuardian loads a driver,.. but dont know if this is related.

22. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

My OS is XP Home SP2.

23. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There are some conflict with Jetico2 and PG, hooking being one. If you want to run this combo Jetico2+PG, I would suggest for now, to disable the "attack module" within Jetico2 untill the problem is resolved(if it is). To do this, open Jetico2, select the "process attack" table, and enable (tick) the top rule [Process attack]-[bypass].
    This may also be the cause of your slow shutdown.

I did find similar problems with Jetico2+PG, but removed PG (to fully beta test Jetico2).

24. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

I tried to solve the problem with PeerGuardian. I placed one rule for PeerGuardian on top of Ask User table to accept all activity and to log with warning. When I manualy close PeerGuardian I get exit network in log, alos I get exti network in log during shutdown. Maybe problem is in exit network but 1 out of 3 machine roeboots was delayed although the rule was in place on top of Ask User table. Now I doubt that this problem is related with Jetico.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  25. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

@pcaca
    I have now reproduced this problem with PeerGuardian,.. I am seeing a lot of "event 1517", this indicates a problem with the hive,.. I have just downloaded the "user profile hive cleanup" tool from microsoft, I will install to see if this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.