Problems restoring an Image from a Dell server

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kwebber, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwebber

kwebber Registered Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I have a dell server which I made a backup of the C partition. I have used the universal restore onto a different (non-dell server) but when the server restarts it goes into a Dell Diag screen where it want to run a Diag or MpMemory test or reboot. The server never boots up. After going back into the restore wizard and using the universal restore (safe version) it seems that the previous restore created a Dell Utility C partition and then my old C partition is now the new D partition but it attempts to boot to the Dell utility C partition. The image of the archived Dell C drive had three partitions: c, boot and a small partition I think holds dell diag programs. Any suggestions?
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Apr 28, 2004
    Hello kwebber,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

It seems that the issue is caused by the fact that you have transferred the entire source hard drive contents including the so-called DELL service partition and a bootloader which persists in the original MBR and allows booting either Dell Recovery or Windows. However, DELL Recovery does not work on the new hardware for some reason.

You can try to overcome this issue in two ways:

1. Restore the system partition separately (do not restore the DELL service partition) using the Acronis Universal Restore option;

2. Fix the MBR of the destination's machine hard drive either by booting the server from the corresponding Windows version installation CD and issuing the "fixmbr" (without quotes) command in Recovery Console or using one of the methods described in Acronis Help Post. Then boot into Windows and use a special partition\disk managing software such as Acronis Disk Director Server 10.0 to delete the DELL service partition.

In case the above does not help, please do the following:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;

- Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;

- Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;

- Boot the server having the issue from the beforehand created diskette and wait for the report creation process to finish;

- Collect the report file from the floppy.

In case you do not have a floppy drive we recommend that you borrow one in order to create Acronis Report. If it is not possible please connect the hard drive containing the restored non-bootable operating system to any other "healthy" computer, i.e. computer which can successfully boot into Windows, and create a report from within Windows as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also provide us with the following information:

- What exact Acronis True Image version and build number do you use?

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window;

- What operating system are you trying to transfer?

- Do you receive any error messages upon the attempt to start the newly restored operating system?

- Describe the way you restored the backup in detail.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    Alexey Popov
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.