Problems merging two XP images to same machine

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by QueenGeek, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QueenGeek

QueenGeek Registered Member

Oh man am I glad to find this forum. It looks like others are having similar problems. I am beating my head against a wall. o_O I have a need to take the WinXP image from two identical machines (hardware) and put them both on the same machine. I need them each to boot separately and not be able to see each other (hidden partitions). I've tried several things, and it only boots into the first copy of XP. Here's the latest thing I tried...

0) Create full backup machine 1 using Acronis True Image (ATI).
    1) Create a backup of the c: (system) and d: (data) drives from each machine using ATI.
    2) Use Acronis Disk Director Suite (DDS) to delete some unneeded partitions from machine 1.
    3) Use ADD to create two primary partitions for machine 2 images.
    4) Set the new system partition to Active (DDS).
    5) Recover machine 2 c: and d: images to the newly created primary partitions on machine 1 using ATI.
    6) Reset the old system partition to Active (DDS).
    7) Install Acronis O/S Selector (OSS).

I then attempted to boot into the second XP, but it still boots into the first one. I just tried changing the boot.ini on the second XP system disk to point to the second partition, but now I get and error claiming it cannot find the c:\windows\system32\hal.dll file. ARGH.

What a way to spend the weekend. Any help would be VASTLY appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  2. QueenGeek

I *finally* got it working. What a pain. Documentation could be a lot better... I'm not sure I can remember each step, but I will try as best I can to recount.

NOTE: DO NOT BOOT INTO EITHER O/S UNTIL THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY TO DO SO.

1. Install machine 1 disk image on new machine

2. Create machine 2 primary partitions on new machine (delete any from machine 1 disk image as necessary)

3. Install machine 2 c: and d: partition images on new machine (in newly created partitions). This resulted in:
    system1 10MB
    data1 125MB
    system2 10MB
    data2 125MB

4. Install the O/S selector on the data2 partition. I don't know if and why this made a difference, but previously I was installing on system1 and it wouldn't work. Let it auto-detect the O/Ss.

(Note: The first O/S will boot fine, so no need to muck with its boot.ini.)

5. Select the first O/S and choose "Properties/Partitions". Set system2 and data2 to hide. On "Advanced" check the hiding box.

6. Select the second O/S. Under "Properties/Files", edit the boot.ini file. Set the partition number to correspond to the correct partition containing the system image for this O/S. In my case, the partition number was 3 (system2 is the third partition, see above).

7. Under "Properties/Folders", you will note that the folders all point to the first O/S. Why? Who knows. Delete the ?:\WINDOWS (in my case, it was on D: ). This will allow you to hide the first O/S system disk.

8. Under "Properties/Partitions", set system1 and data1 to hide. On "Advanced" check the hiding box.

9. Under "Properties/Folders", add the C:\WINDOWS directory. NOTE: it will let you add this, but it will appear as if it is on the hidden first O/S drive. Don't ask why. Looks like a GUI bug, but it works..

10. Boot into the second O/S. It should work.

11. Restart and boot into the first O/S to verify it works.

12. Backup the entire disk NOW!

End result:

2 bootable O/Ss, each with 2 partitions: 1 WinXP, 1 Data
    Each boots as c: and data on d:
    Neither O/S can see the other's drives.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  3. QueenGeek

Warning! The resulting machine had some very odd quirks (e.g., the event viewer didn't work, directories would report the existence of files but not be able to view contents or directory info). I *believe* this had something to do with setting the properties/folders c:\WINDOWS, c:\PROGRAM FILES, & c:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS folders to restore on boot (enable in properties tab). I have rebuilt numerous times and now seem to have something stable (so far). When the dust settles, I will try to methodically step through the process and document exactly how to get the desired results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.