Problems making a bootable CD-ROM.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Close_Hauled, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I have been trying to make a bootable CD from an ISO image that I want to try. The software is Austrumi v0.84. Here is the link;

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm#4

I have tried five different ways to bake a bootable CD, and it is not working. I have Easy CD Creator 5.3.4.21, and I have tried it on a Dell OptiPlex GX270, and a Latitude D600. I just get a blinking cursor at the top left corner of the screen. The CD should boot to Linux. Any suggestions?

Close Hauled

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

This help at all? Link

3. Close_Hauled

Thanks for the prompt reply. Tried the steps mentioned already. I am gonna try a slower speed.

Close Hauled

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

No antivirus etc, interfering?

5. Close_Hauled

Never thought of that. I'll give it a try if the 4x burn did not work.

4x burn did not work either.

I have tried Bootable CD projects as well, with floppy and hard drive emulation. Neither worked.

6. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I have burned dozens of linux ISO images and I have got that problem twice.

Once it was because I was installing on a computer without enough ram to load the install routine (I had a old 386 with 8mb, but I needed 16)

The other time it was because my download was incomplete/corrupted. All distributions offer a md5 checksum to validate the iso image. If they don't match, you are going to make coasters. And since you probably have many AOHell Cds, you don't need more coasters.

I'll assume that you have configured the bios of your computer to check the CD for a bootable system.

7. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I am currently downloading that password recovery tool to try out. I'll report back if it works for me later today/tomorrow.

8. Close_Hauled

Thanks. Please keep in touch. I'll try downloading again.

Downloading again worked. Tried it on Proliant DL380 running Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and a Dell Optiplex GX260 running 2000 Pro. It could not see the drives on the DL380, and it honked up the local Administrator account on the GX260. I had to log in as an admin equivalent to fix the Administrator account.

Specifically what happened was the Administrator account did not show up under Computer Management. It did show up in Users And Passwords. I reset the password there, and went back to Computer Management and it came back.

Close Hauled

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  9. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

So the bootable CD issue is solved? Great.

In your opinion, this password recovery device actually left your system in a misconfigured state? I am now less enthusiastic in trying this tool.

10. Close_Hauled

Unicron;

I am having more success with this one;

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

It works the same as the other one, but it has SCSI drivers. It worked fine on the OptiPlex GX260 if I changed the admin password to a blank password. What honks it up is if you use something other than a blank password.

I tried both the CD and the floppy on the GX260. Both work fine. The CD has SCSI drivers on it for servers...

As for the DL380, I can load the SCSI drivers and see the partitions, but I still cannot access them.

I will keep you informed.

Close Hauled

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.