Problems in playing video - short squiggly lines appear randomly

Discussion in 'hardware' started by newbino, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbino

newbino Registered Member

Hi, I am not sure how to describe the issue so all my googling has been in vain, I hope you can help. I am not even sure which section to post, I assume it's hardware-related but maybe it's not.

I am running Win 7 with Asus p5K motherboard 4GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT.

Since yesterday (no new installs) when playing videos occasionally red or/and short squiggly lines appear for a few frames - kind of flash-like - and disappear. They return in different parts of the frame at irregular intervals. Could not make screens as in KMPlayer scrolling between single frames the lines appear to be inter frame (appear only on the scroll between two frames but in neither of the two).

I am also noticing a similar event, this time covering all the monitor screen which much longer lines, at boot. Specifically, after I input my password.

So far I have ascertained that:
    1. it's not a problem with the files themselves - I am having the issue also with older files which I have already viewed without problems
    2. it's not format related - I am having it with all the formats I tested: .avi, .mpg, .mp4, .flv
    3. it's not player related: it's occurring with KMPlayer, Media Player Classic - Home Cinema and VLC portable which I just downloaded for a third option

I have attempted the following so far, without having any results:
    1. rebooting
    2. uninstalling all codecs and reinstalling the latest K-Lite Codec Pack
    3. updating the NVIDIA drivers
    4. checking device manager

As I mentioned, I have been unable to google for the problem, as all description I have come up with appear to produce unrelated hits.

2. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Take a screen dump (snap) of your issue and post it here as attachment or provide a link to the image. In the meantime can you connect your system to another monitor. If on laptop external monitor. Are you talking about Onboard video graphics where your having the issue or adapter card?

Could be:

PSU is going on the way out
    Onboard Graphics or your Graphics adapter on it's last legs

When you reboot the system or start-up the system do you see a flicker effect on the your monitor screen in the upper top blank screen?

3. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I can't picture your problem, but just a shot in the dark. I 've heard about artefacts in video in cases of :

- Bad RAM.
    - VGA card overheating.

RAM can be checked with Memtest or similar programs. VGA temperature with some other program (its own or maybe GPU-Z?).

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

5. newbino

hope this is ok, was intent in getting several points of view, rapidly

6. newbino

Turns out that the problem lies with the monitor.

I had totally forgotten (duh!!) to test my secondary monitor (I run a dual monitor system) and sure enough on it I had no problem playing various video files or at reboot.

Dell has arranged to substitute the faulty monitor (still in warranty) within 48 hours - fast procedure, hassle-free, so it appears that everything is solved.

Thanks to everybody for the help!

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

newbino, no problem. I referenced your other attempt, just in case a solution was found there, but I see that you found a monitor problem. Glad to read that the issue is resolved. Take care.

JR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.