problems getting Tor to work

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Michael_aust, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_aust

Michael_aust Registered Member

I decided to install that Tor software so I installed it all including that privoxy software. I set up my conection in firefox like it said towith the http to localhost 8118 etc. But when i use with that proxi set up thing when ever i try to access a webpage i get this weird error page saying unable to connect. I have tried disabling privoxy when im doing it i still get the same pages i also do when i disable my firewall. Is this a a problem with the way my isp is set up? I use aol at the moment.

Any suggestions to what I should try> I followed like it said to on its instruction page for windows.

Thanks

Michael :)

2. wolfpack

wolfpack Guest

I'm not exactly sure why it's not working for you, but here's some things that may help you out.

Make sure you've followed the instructions to the letter here http://tor.freehaven.net/cvs/tor/doc/tor-doc-win32.html

You shouldn't have any problems using Tor with Aol.

Also make sure after you open Tor that you minimize it and not close it. The Tor window has to remain open to use Tor.

Make sure your using the latest versions of Both Tor and Privoxy.

Make sure you've allowed both Tor and Privoxy through your firewall.

When you open Tor, what does it tell you? It should say: Tor has successfully opened a circut. Looks like it's working. Once you get this message from Tor, then go ahead and minimize Tor, and open Privoxy. Then minimize Privoxy and try surfing to a site. If you keep getting the error message with Privoxy then you may have configured it improperly, so go through the Tor set up instructions (posted above) very carefully, and do exactly as it tells you. Let us know if you get it working.

3. Michael_aust

Thanks I think its working now. After it had connected I was closing down the DOS window for Tor. Stupid me I didnt realise youhad to keeop it open. I dont realy notice to much slow down on browsing. Im only using it on firefox at the moment to try it out so i dont have to messaround with the IE settings. This was realativly easy to set up. I kniow I mde a mistake but it was onyl a minor one, I got it right all the settings the first time etc.

Thanks for your help

4. Michael_aust

What other program can you torify other then your browser?

Can you do it to p2p applications, instant mesangeing, email etc?

Also one other thing Tor is free to use right and so is privoxy?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  5. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I believe only HTTP connections.

6. anony mouse

anony mouse Guest

If you use Sockscap you can "torify" an instant messenger, but voice won't work because it uses UDP.
    I've never tried it with file shareing. Outlook won't work but another email client like Quicksilver.
    For detailed instructions go here, http://www.panta-rhei.dyndns.org/pantawiki/SecurityAndEncryptionFaq
    and scroll down half way,(it's a long read).

7. Michael_aust

were can I get sockscap from. When I go to the connection setting of msn messenger and say i use a proxy what do i put in the server section and port section. Do i just put localhost in server and 9050 in port.

Can you name some everyday programs that can be torrified for me

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.