Problems after updating

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by bibbe, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

Hi I am running Windows ME, ZAP, NOD32, TDS and BoClean and after updating to the new version of PE I have a problem after closing it. When it´s finished closing everything locks up and I have to press the botton to shut down the computer.

bibbe

2. linney

linney Registered Member

Did you Uninstall PE or did you Install PE over the old version?

If you uninstalled then installed the new version it may require uninstalling your firewall and PE, then re-installing PE followed by your firewall.

Wait for a reply from Jason later today.

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

With WindowsME or XP you might like to close the system restore during uninstalling the present one (from it's own directory), reboot, installing the next version, unless the new version's installer takes care of the uninstalling itself.
    If all that went ok, you might like to enable the restore again and make a new point from there.
    Lots of time the locking has to do with the necessary reboot for the 9x/ me systems.
    Hope this helps.

BTW: you did close the AV during un/install did you?

4. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

No. I did not uninstal, but I tried that later and now it works a little better, but PE still locks up my computer for about 30 seconds after the PEclosing window has gone.

bibbe

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Aha Bibbe, i see what you mean:
    The longer you had the system up after your last reboot or PE running, the longer it takes, right?
    It is freeing resources, memory, putting back dead or live dreads where they belong is such is the matter, and that can take some time.
    You might hear and see your system active during this, the hdd light blinking up till all is free again.
    As windows is a bit slow and not too precize in this area in the 9x and ME systems, we will notice more of this then i expect from the NT/2000/XP systems.
    On my 98se system i notice it runs even better and freeing memory etc with PE up!
    I don't see any reason to close PE at all, as the dll is running anyway and the screen we see is just to see what is happening and doesn't take any extra resources. The things which can take memory are the socket spy and the logging. I put the logging on the lowest values if i like to look, and cleanse them frequent (best fist disable both before cleansing, as our slower systems don't like to clean and write at the same time! after you can enable them again of course if you want)
    Also the socketspy: this can grow of course, and you might like to look in the directory at the size of the capture.bin.
    I cleanse it out frequent too, as i know i'm not going to look at all that data anyway.

So don't worry about the seconds after closing PE of system freeze, it frees itself after all resources have been cleared out.

6. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

Thankyou Jooske and linney for your answers, i will let everything be for the moment and I will try not to close PE.

bibbe

7. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

Now I have turned of netstat-socket, file-logging and window-logging and some other things to, but I an still having trouble closing PE, ´when I have been using it for a longer period, if I just turn it on and then of everything is ok.
    If I don´t close PE then windows won´t shut down.

bibbe

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

If you look at such a moment with contr+alt+del is there then any program "not responding" ?
    And if so and killing such a not responding program, can you continue shutting down windows then, no matter if PE is still running?

9. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

No program said not responding. But now I have un-installed both PE and ZAP and then re-installed both, PE first, like linney told me earlier and I have not had PE up for such a long time that it would give me a problem.

bibbe

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Sounds good so far, looking forward to your further results.
    I was thinking, there has been reported a small issue with the "clear log window" which during beta testing caused on my system a "not responding" program, but since i had not this problem.
    I learned to first disable the log window and file before cleaning anything, after toggle them on again.

I have it with closing IE too, even when PE is not installed at all or not up, so that is an IE issue. System freeze, sometimes can get to the task manager telling the one or the other program is not responding, blue screen etc, so forced to reboot in such circumstances.

11. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

No problem with "clear log" and this time it seems like PE is working a little better, I still think it takes to long, before I can use the computer again after turning PE off, but so far, no lock-up. Hoping and wishing.

bibbe

12. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

Hi, I am back, it didn´t work afterall, I guess I just have to leave PE, that´s a shame, or maybe just use it for short periods of time. I couldn´t even use ctrl/alt/del.

bibbe

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You are running version 1.500 are you?
    Did you use the logging function and if so, which size did you choose for the window items and the file log size?
    And the socket spy, were you spying on anything?
    Did you look inr PE directory at the size of both capture.bin and pelog.txt?
    I keep them all small, lowest values, and i clean out the socket spy regularly if i am spying at all.

When you installed the last time PE, did you disable the system restore, uninstall PE and ZA, reboot, check if the dcsw2.dll was gone, install PE, install ZA, reboot, if all is fine enable system restore again and make a new restore point there?

You might be among the few whom better not touch the "clear log window" button at the mo, not a problem to enable the logging and log window, keep it small, but don't clean that; the file log and socket spy you can clean as much as you like.
    Can you try if it runs better with all these recommendations?

14. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

Hi Jooske, yes to everything except for the thing about dcsw2.dll . Once I started having problems I turned of all logging and I don´t spy, everything is turned down low

15. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Did your problems start with this version 1.500?

There's just a few moments ago released a new fix update 1.510 make suer you get this one.
    Might help too.

16. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

Hi again Jooske, yes everything started with 1500, untill then I never had a problem. I have downloaded the new 1510 and un-installed 1500 and ZAP and now I hope for the best.

bibbe

Thankyou for your help

17. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

I installed the new 1510 and it seems to work so much better, the only thing is that I have to keep my fingers from my computer after having closed PE, when there is a lot of harddisk-activity

bibbe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.